What breed are these hens

easter egger ed

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2015
Delaware
Hello I am new to the group and I am looking for an opinion on the breed of these hens.. I was told that they are brown sex link and the others are Easter eggers!!
[/IMG]

I am picking them up tommorow I was told they are all aroun a year and a half old and I am getting 26 of the brown sex links and 4 Easter eggers for $125 does this sound like a reasonable price

That's what I thought I figured they should be worth around $10 each at their age but do the appear to be brown sex links like described by the seller

Is that a good thing that they are red sex links rather then brown?? I plan on selling the eggs not breeding atkeast not yet!!

Last edited:
Is that a good thing that they are red sex links rather then brown?? I plan on selling the eggs not breeding atkeast not yet!!

They are the same thing. "Brown Sex Link" is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. Not only can the resulting offspring be sexed by color from hatching, but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. Other labels under which hatcheries market Red Sex Links include Gold Sex Link, Red Star, Gold Star, Golden Buff, Cinnamon Queen, Bovans Brown, Golden Comet, Hubbard Golden Comet, Isa Brown, Babcock Brown, Warrens, Hyline Brown, Gold Lines, Lohmans Brown, Brown Shaver, Red Shaver, Bovans Goldline, etc. The only downside to Red Sex Links is that because they are hybrids, they will not breed true. If you breed two RSLs together, the offspring will just be a barnyard mutt and will likely not lay as well as their mother.

Back
Top Bottom