what breed are these? i suspect a mix.

lividsorrow

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2015
The first two were found as day old abandonded chicks, and the last one was covered in mites and half eaten, he doesn't even have a tail, and it hasn't grown in yet after three weeks.

Last edited:
The one on the left perhaps it could have brahma in it? The reason I'm wondering is I can see feathered shanks and a pea comb but I agree since I've never seen a Brahma come in that color it's probably a crossbred along with the one on the right. The one on the bottom might not be a crossbred, there's a chicken known as the Crevecoeur. In the first picture I see he has no tail and I wanted to ask do you know why. Was it pulled? molted out, genetically there meaning it was crossed with a rumpless breed. Also what comb does it have?

The one on the bottom (creveceour?) As a really funny comb, it's a small V with a extra lump on it. He also crows REALLY weird.
Not sure I have a good photo of his comb. I'm not sure why he had no tail, it looks as though he's plucked it out. He had a TON of mites when we got him.

Oh and the dark super colorful rooster, top left, has very yellow legs with some feathers on it. Top rights legs are grey, but they were found together as day old chicks so I suspect those two are related. Or at least we're hatched together.

The one on the bottom (creveceour?) As a really funny comb, it's a small V with a extra lump on it. He also crows REALLY weird.
Not sure I have a good photo of his comb. I'm not sure why he had no tail, it looks as though he's plucked it out. He had a TON of mites when we got him.
Than by the sounds of it he is a crevecoeur, the tail probably just lost itself and the comb that looks like a V is known as a V comb (duplex comb)

Poor birds! Glad they're recovering with you. The last bird could pass for a crevecoeur from hatchery stock.

The other two seem to have walnut combs- which are genetically both rose and pea 'into one'. They definitely are mixed.. brahma is possible/works well as a guess.. they have a very 'game' look to their faces so I want to suggest brahma-game mix but brahma easter egger mix would be a good guess also.

I agree with Bantamfan4Life's guesses. The first two birds are mixed breeds, and the other bird is either a hatchery Crevecoeur, or another mix.

Last edited:
Brahmas do come in partridge, but they aren't recognized by APA and other associations this side of the pond. See 'em all over SE Asia.

The little head proportionate to the profuse neck ruff makes me think of Chanteclers. Given them being found together and the similar appearance, I'm going to guess they're related and therefore mixed. My Brahmas had far fluffier feet and bigger heads than the gorgeous boys on your piano. My EE had really profuse hackles too, but neither of these boys has the fluffy face genes (which take awhile to dilute to clean faced chicks, much to the chagrin of every person gypped into buying "Ameraucanas" that weren't what they were billed and bought as). May be a Cochin mix of some sort.

Brahmas do come in partridge, but they aren't recognized by APA and other associations this side of the pond. See 'em all over SE Asia.

The little head proportionate to the profuse neck ruff makes me think of Chanteclers. Given them being found together and the similar appearance, I'm going to guess they're related and therefore mixed. My Brahmas had far fluffier feet and bigger heads than the gorgeous boys on your piano. My EE had really profuse hackles too, but neither of these boys has the fluffy face genes (which take awhile to dilute to clean faced chicks, much to the chagrin of every person gypped into buying "Ameraucanas" that weren't what they were billed and bought as). May be a Cochin mix of some sort.
The only reason I thought brahma is the feathered shanks and the fact that is a pea like (could be walnut or something similar) comb.

Back
Top Bottom