What breed are these month old chicks?

PioneerPrincess

Songster
10 Years
Sep 16, 2009
TX
Hello. We recently bought four chicks at the feed store. We think the largest is an Ameracauna. Also we are not sure what gender any of the chicks are. Please state your reasons why you think it is a rooster or hen. We like to buy chicks every now and then and try to guess their breed and if they are a rooster or a hen based on how they act and how their feathers are but these ones are really hard to tell. The Ameracauna and Golden Sebright are really into the pecking order and the other don't really care. Thank you for your help.

41347_sept_9-pets_livstock_19.jpg

I'm sorry about that. Also we think the black & gold chick is a golden sebright. Thank you for your help. Here are some sideviews of them:

41347_sept_17-_pets_livestock_cont_5.jpg

41347_sept_17-_pets_livestock.jpg

41347_sept_17-_pets_livestock_cont_23.jpg

wow - what a difference...I thought I had some ideas when I saw them from above, but the side shots blew that all to heck! haa haa! Yes, I'd definitely agree on the sebright, but I am sure that someone else on here will be able to help you with the others more than I can...good luck!!

Oh I like guessing games!

I'm just guessing, but the little Blue one looks similar to my Blue when he was a baby....My Blue is a pet quality Self Blue Old English Game Bird - OEGB - a little Rooster - common purchase at feedstores, etc.

I wont even try to guess on the others, although I think the clor/patterning is Partridge. I was going to say Partridge something, but the little one looked almost like my Welsummers when they were babies too? It's been a while...but with brown earlobes, probably brown egg layer....

Cant wait to see what they are when they grow up! Keep us posted!
Tina

ooooo i love guessing games!!!!
wee.gif

ok i think you have 1 EE the biggest one one partridge rock maybe the barred looking one and definatly a sebright and im going out on a limb on this one because i no nothing about any bird with the word game in it but the blue one looks like an american game bantam

Thank you! Now hopefully they're all hens. If they're these breeds they are going to be beautiful. Once they are grown up, we'll take pictures and post them.
smile.png

I see 2 EE's, Golden Sebright, and a Old English. So weird last time I got chicks at Atwoods I got a Golden Sebright and a OEGB ahaa
smile.png

Quote:
I think you're pretty close, except the American game bantam is a self blue old english game bantam (cockerel). And the partridge rock i can't say what it is, but i know rocks are yellow legged. That one is white..

1. The largest chick is an EE; note the green legs and pea comb. I am going to guess cockerel, although that is not based on too much info. At that size, my EE pullet's comb was not that pink, and her stature was a bit more "horizontal" and not so upright. The tailfeathers are also forming a bit different than my EE pullet. Also, the "largeness" of that chick, is due to the fact that it is a LF, and not a bantam. The others appear to be bantams.

2. The golden laced chick is definitely a Golden Sebright. They are "hen-feathered" so it is a bit more difficult to tell between cockerel and pullet. The comb is a bit large though for a pullet at that stage, so I might go with cockerel.

3. The lightest colored chick is either a self-blue d'uccle or a porcelain d'uccle. I am going to go with porcelain d'uccle based upon the fact that you purchased them from a feed store, who would have purchased them from a hatchery. Hatcheries don't really sell specialty colors like self-blue, and if they happened to, they probably wouldn't sell them to feed stores in a mixed bantam grab bag. I would also go with cockerel for this bantam, since that comb is so big and red.

4. The brown/partridgy looking chick is either a partridge rock or a barnevelder. Barnevelders also aren't too common so I'm again thinking that maybe it is not. Partridge rock perhaps? i'm not too sure. The chick looks to be a pullet, as the comb isn't too developed and the chick is fairly horizontal looking.

these are all "farmer's" guesses though and are certainly up for debate or correction.

Back
Top Bottom