What breed are these old birds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tallyho, Sep 19, 2010.

1. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    With all of this talk about ameraucanas and EE's I'm just wondering what Ginger and Dotty are. They are 8 years old and were labeled ameraucanas back then. They do not have obvious green legs, maybe slate, but they do lay blue-green eggs. Whatever they are I love them. Ginger is super-smart, she pecks at my kitchen door if the door to their house blows shut. The other dumb birds roost in the trees and I have to hunt them down.

This is Ginger -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They are beautiful, intelligent Easter Eggers.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep, Easter Eggers. [​IMG]

4. tallyho

Aug 24, 2010
    I thought so....

There's another thread right now discussing EE's that I just noticed. Ginger definitley has white earlobes, not-green legs and no real fluffy face but lays blue eggs. Never heard about EE's back that long ago but I see them at the feed store now. Oh and they still lay very good. I hear that's also an EE trait

5. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    My EE's are my most reliable layers. Every day and same spot. Today It was raining and a favorite spot is in an old newspaper recycling bin that was under a grape bush, so I pulled it out changed the bedding and moved it under the other nest boxs which are off the ground 3'. My EE's watched the whole process chattering the whole time. As soon as I was done 3 of them went over to inspect it and 1 laid an egg within minutes. The others didn't care that I had moved it, just seemed happy they could still use it.

Lanae

6. tallyho

Aug 24, 2010
    Funny birds. Between the 2 old girls I got about 8-9 eggs every week and one of them laid the first egg of the year (I don't light their house in the winter). They are the only 2 blue green layers I have so I know it had to be them! I think I will definitley get more EEs when the time comes.

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    EE, very fun birds to have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by