What breed are these one-year olds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cposz, May 11, 2009.

1. cposz

cposz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Hi - I'm new to this forum and have a quick question.
    We got two new one-year old hens yesterday (and they presented us with two wonderful eggs this morning!). I was told by the person who gave them to us that they are buff orpingtons, but they look too red to me.
    Are they BO? If not, can anyone identify what breed they are?

They are beginning their first moult at the moment, which might make this a difficult call ..

Any help with identification would be appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    they are not BO's, they can be rir or a leghorn ..hope someone can help you further..but they are definatley NOT buff O's...

3. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    RIR

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, she is a production-type RIR girl.

5. cposz

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Wow! Such prompt replies - thank you!!
    I'm looking online at google images to see a photo of a RIR and they all look much darker brown than these girls. Does anyone have a photo of their RIR they can post for comparison? (google isn't helpful with this particular inquiry, I guess).

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have both hatchery and breeder quality RIRs. In the first pic is my last remaining hatchery RIR, Reba, who is darker than my previous hatchery RIR girls, and in the second one, one of my molting breeder type RIRs, who is HUGE. Yours is a typical hatchery type RIR.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. cposz

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Very helpful (as is this whole forum, in general). Thank you!

8. cposz

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    After looking at pictures of various breeds on this site, I am wondering if they could possibly be Hubbard (ISA) Browns? https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-ISA_Browns

Most
    of the photos I've seen of RIRs show beautifully motteled brown/red feathers on the body. The feathers on these girls is just plain brown. Also one of the girls has "curly" feathers - she's always been sort of fluffy, I was told. The other's feathers are only a little bit darker and hers lay down properly.

Whatever they are, they are charming, sweet things. Good layers, too.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  9. gel2727

gel2727 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    CT
    They could be production RIR, they are not as dark in coloring as breeder RIR. They could also be the Hubbard Brown, or Red Sex Link (aka Red Star). Hubbard brown and Red Star may be the same thing, I'm not sure.

As long as you like them, that's all that matters, right?? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  10. cposz

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Gel2727 -
    A Red Star - according to Google images, THAT seems to be exactly what they are. The coloring on all ofthe Google image Red Stars is identical to our girls.

Of course, whatever they are they are just perfect! (It's just nice to know, right?)

Thanks, Gel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by