1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed are these pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by asher, Jan 27, 2007.

1. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I bought these today for $5 each. I needed some laying hens. LOL WELL, my aunt says they don't look old enough to lay, yet so we'll see. ANYWAY, I always swore I did NOT want games and I'm afraid that's what I ended up with. Can anyone tell? At first I thought EE as one has greenish legs.

Help please? [​IMG]

(They are named Ginger & Nutmeg (Meg for short! LOL)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I think you have a cross there. With the black tail feathers and redish body I'd be guessing at a RIR cross. You could be right on the EE as they do have that stance to them and the comb is like a pea comb, but a tad tall.

3. tnokie

tnokie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    I'd say for sure the first one is pure game and proably the second. Won't be great layers but will be great broodys,they will earn their keep doing that for you!

4. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Oy! Thanks!

WELL, since the lady on freecycle offered me a bunch of laying hens, if that works out, I may be passing these on to a friend. LOL

5. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    First one is definately a game hen, second looks to me to be a game cross. If you are in to raising chicks, these game hens are excellent mothers.

6. Cooptopia

Cooptopia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    I've been able to verify the gender of all my birds except the Wyandottes so I could use some help. They were sexed by Cackle so the may all be pullets just maturing differently. Here is my suspect, all were hatched on 3/27 so are 7.5 weeks.

Here is a full body shot.
    [​IMG]

And a close up
    [​IMG]

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by