1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed are these rabbits?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Eris, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Eris

Eris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    El Paso, Texas
    I would like to buy some rabbits for breeding, with the intention of meat. These pictures are from two different people. 1 not knowing the breeds at all and the other person taking a guess of the breed as half dutch, half new zealand. What do you guys think? Based on the pictures, do they look like they would be good for meat rabbits?

Male, Unknown breed. Any guesses? I am told they are "full grown"
    [​IMG]

2nd picture. Male, Unknown breed. Any guesses? I am told they are "full grown"
    [​IMG]

3 Males, 1 Female. Mother is a New Zealand, Father Unknown breed. Any guesses? Approx. 10 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

3 Males, 1 Female. Mother is a New Zealand, Father Unknown breed. Any guesses? Approx. 10 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

2. ~Wind~

~Wind~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Dutch cross/mix for sure. Dutch have a good meat to bone ratio, and if they are crossed with a new zealand then you should be set for meat.

3. Eris

Eris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    El Paso, Texas
    Would you say that all the rabbits in the ALL pictures are dutch crosses? Or only the top two pictures or the bottom two pictures?

The top two pictures are from one breeder and the bottom two pictures are from a separate breeder.

4. ~Wind~

~Wind~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    I say all of them look to have dutch in them.

5. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Those are some of the cutest bunnies I've seen in a while. I really like their proportions and colors/markings.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  6. lasergrl

lasergrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Middlefield Ohio
    I do not like the first male at all, for meat breeding. he is too lean, not enough hindquarter at all. You want the best male you can get. You can get away with lesser quality females but get a good california buck. New zealand are ok too but I find the cals a little better. Kits from that buck will not likely be butcher size until several weeks after a good 8 wk old meat breed would be.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Definitely dutch mixes. The color pattern is too distinct not to be dutch.

8. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    wish you were close to me,I have a dutch/new zealand doe and would love to have a buck like that to cross on her. I want to get new zealand size but dutch makrings!

9. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

They could just be really poor quality dutch - if they are not more than 8lbs or so. Mixed colors and whatnot.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I am going to gently correct you. [​IMG] There is no such thing as a poor quality rabbit. They are known as pet quality.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by