1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed are these roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ninjascrub69, Sep 21, 2010.

1. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The coop floor looks bad because I just cleaned out the bedding and dont yet have the new bedding in... anyway i got these (and plenty of others) from murray mc murray as an assortment bargain or something like that so i have no idea what they are.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  2. birdman123

birdman123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    woodsfield ohio
    mutts

3. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Not really sure.I prefer the term "mix". I'm a chicken nut so I think every bird is gorgeous.Maybe a mix of sexlink etc.. I have sexlink hen's this time and they are proving to be great laying hen's so far. Whatever they are hope they do good for ya.

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:X2

5. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:X3

6. j egger

j egger Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    Georgetown, TX
    I know exactly what they are, they're a breed called white face black spanish or also known as clown chicken. I know this because we have one that we named genus (because of his ability to escape the coop) that looks just like that, glad to help.[​IMG]

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    McMurray wouldn't send you mutts- maybe sex-links, but I've never seen sex-links with white earlobes. Looks like they are just at the juvenile stage before they have all of their adult colors. The untrained eye would probably call my welsummer roos mutts at that stage as well.

8. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    the 2nd one looks like a black leghorn

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  9. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    "Mutt" by definition refers to a mixed breed dog NOT a chicken. http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Mutt In general its a slang word used with distaste by many breeders/owners to describe a dog of unknown origin and a word I'm not overly fond of.

Its unlikely the hatchery sent you a mixed breed chicken, your best bet is to look through chicken pictures on their website and see what breeds they carry that look similar to yours.

10. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    On further review, I think your top bird could be a Golden Spangled Hamburg roo and the bottom, I am about positive is a black Minorca roo.

As far as the term "mutt" I think everyone on this site that uses the term (myself included) use it as an endering term. Nothing to get worked up about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by