What breed are these two chicks?(pic heavy)

SillyChick

Songster
12 Years
Dec 15, 2007
Hello

I have two chicks. What breed are they? Can you also tell their age? I don't think they're just a day old when we bought them. Can you also tell their gender or are they still too young? Extremely sorry for the blurry pics. We only have a phone for a camera and the chicks are verrrry skittish that I asked for many others for help to photograph them. Many apologies! Here they are:

Chick #1 - Very peaceful and friendly, although quite skittish and nervous. My family named her "Jara" because of her hen-like demeanor.

07032008016.jpg

07032008020.jpg

07032008022.jpg

Chick #2 - Although very friendly, he/she is very skittish, playful and doesn't prefer to be held too much. We're suspecting it's a roo. I haven't thought of a name for him yet.

07032008023.jpg

07032008026.jpg

07032008027.jpg

07032008028.jpg

Also, they like to jump on me a lot - especially Chick #2 - on my face or on my head(their brooder is placed quite high). When I see them crouching and ready to leap, I flee. Is there an explanation to this odd behavior?

Sorry for posting too many questions.......hope I'm not being a headache to you all........you've all been very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I think it's "wired into their genes" for chicks to jump UP on something ... every chick I've ever seen or been around wanted to get as high as possible (and they look so pleased with themselves when they accomplish it)

good protective behavior for "prey animals"

Candy

They look like production red's to me, with a greater out crossing with NH that leaves the lighter feather color. Reason I say red is due to the slight barring of black and white on the wing tips. As for gender, too young to tell right now. My guess is they are about 3 weeks old or so. Their head fluff is still rather heavy and looks like their chest fluff is just filling in.

Thank you very much for the replies. Greatly appreciated it
smile.png

After doing a little research(and with your great help, of course), it is very likely that they are indeed production reds - New Hampshire Reds. But - I think they are also crossed with cornish. Their skin is colored pink, they poop quite frequently(their poop size is similar to that of a 5-month old chicken!), but doesn't eat too strong. Still, a world of thanks to all.

They seemed to stop leaping and scratching on me now - that's good because I had several scars from their scratches. Them being New Hampshires might explain the fast growth of feathers.

Do they look cornish to you?

More info is appreciated. Thanks again!
frow.gif

Last edited:
I don't think I see any Cornish in them. Many breeds have pink/white skin so that's not always the best to rely on. Cornish mixes usually have a dominant keel area with few feathers. Here's a cornish x rock about a week or two older than your birds... note that it still has head fluff and lots of baby pin feathers... with astounding growth. Did you get them from a hatchery? If they were from a backyard flock, anything can be possible really. Depends on the mix of genes each chick got! Good luck!

kfc%20up%20Small%20800.jpg

Edit: By 6 weeks the average chick will have little if any baby fluff.

These are 4 weeks old to the day:

Boys
ring%20round%20the%20tub%20Small%20800.jpg

Girl Leghorn. A generally fast feathering breed.
leghorn2%20Small%20800.jpg

Last edited:
I know, and even if I move them every other day, they rub the green grass dead in the run, and soil bags upon bags of litter like none other. I put their feeders high up so they HAVE to stand to eat.

Thanks for the info! It's a great relief that they might not be cornish. They just grow so fast!

I also had some cornishes before - they're bottoms look exactly like that! They poop so much that it the whole coop floor was chicken poop and their bottoms would get dirtied on and lose feathers. They wiped out the grass in the pen for 3 days upon introducing them in the coop. When the feeder is empty, they go mad and throw it all around the coop. I would try to avoid cornishes as much as possible. Those are very nice birds, silkiechicken!

I got them from a feed store - the nearest hatchery only sell Cornish Crosses and quails(quite interested). I'm pretty sure they're New Hampshire Reds, because they are extremely common here in our province. There are also a lot of roasters here - here, there everywhere. New Hampshires are generally used. I first thought they were RIR.

Thanks again! I'll always monitor the chicks to see if they develop new characteristics. More info is happily appreciated!

Last edited:
Looks like sex links to me. Could be New Hampshire reds, but they seem just a bit too light for it. you'll be able to tell as they grow out.

Number one looks like a roo though. It's hard to tell with number one, but she's looks more hen-ish.

Back
Top Bottom