What breed are these two cockerels?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dogue, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Pellie, because he is prettiest

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Buttercup, because he is prettiest

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Pellie, because I prefer that breed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Buttercup, because I prefer that breed

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  5. You don't have to choose, because Buttercup is a female!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dogue

Dogue Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2014
    My guess is they are both old english game bantams. I bought them from Ideal in a grab bag.

The grey one's name is Pellie. I believe he is a self blue old english game bantam. But he has a tiny bit of darker blue spotting, so I don't know if he is a splash? Or is he a pearl? Or is he none of the above, and actually a self blue dutch? He is about 7 weeks old or so.

The other one's name is Buttercup. Also about 7 weeks old. Came in the same grab bag from Ideal Poultry. His coloration is reminiscent of the female sicilian buttercup bantams in Ideal's illustrations, or the cream buttercup old english game bantam female or the red quill dutch female... but I'm almost positive that he's not female?!... so Buttercup is awfully confusing.

So, if someone could help me out with not only breed, but also coloration, and I guess, in the case of Buttercup, maybe even gender!

And then for your personal opinion, which rooster would *you* keep out of these two?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    At 7 weeks old, they look to be about the size of an adult Old English Game Bantam. Pellie is probably an Andalusian. Buttercup is a Golden Campine.
    Both are without a doubt male.

3. Dogue

Dogue Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2014
    Thank you for your reply! I would not have thought to look outside of the bantam breeds, since my order was 25 assorted bantams, but Ideal Poultry *does* have both blue andalusians and golden campines, so maybe they threw these guys in my bantam assortment by mistake? If it makes any difference, I ordered two white leghorn pullet chicks at the same time, and they are considerably larger than these guys. I looked up the date just to make sure, but they shipped on February 1st, which would make them nearly exactly 7 weeks old. They seem very small to me, but maybe it's just because I'm comparing them to the leghorns. Would the andalusians and golden campines be smaller than leghorns at the same age?

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Could it be that they sent you Cornish Cross or White Rocks instead of Leghorns?

5. Dogue

Dogue Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2014
    Yes, I'm positive they're leghorns or Ideal's white layer. They're skinny, dainty things.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by