1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RedIII, Feb 15, 2016.

1. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Good evening, all :) I recently received a couple of chicks in an order from a hatchery. I have two of them, and they are supposed to be Black Jersey Giants. However, they do not have single combs. They look like pea combs or something else?

Clean shanks, feathering is coming in all black, slate-colored legs with some pink on the toes. Large fowl, not bantam. And they are very mellow when handled. Any ideas what I got?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Do you know what hatchery they came from?

With a pea comb, Sumatra is a possibility. It will be difficult to tell for sure until they are older though.

3. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I believe I see a white spot on her head which should indicate barring, and the comb looks like a rose comb to me. My best guess would be a Dominque.In a week or so, the feathers should grow out more and you should be able to tell if they are barred.

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Oh, you know what, ignore my original post. Now that I'm seeing the spot, that along with the comb makes me willing to bet on Dominique. They're a beautiful bird, good layers of pink tinted brown eggs.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    okay then Dominique

6. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Thank you all! I had thought of both Sumatra and Dominique, and I would love to have either one :) I guess time will tell what I have.

Wouldn't it be kind of funny, but not funny if I got a mix from the hatchery? :/ Oh and they are from Mcmurray, I believe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by