What breed are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DPWPDX, Dec 11, 2016.

1. DPWPDX

DPWPDX Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2016
    Hi!

My friend's hen got broody so she ordered some fertilized eggs, let them hatch, and raised them. I took the "hens" home when they were about 12 weeks old - now they're 5.5 or 6 months old. One turned into a roo, the Black Australorp got eaten by a hawk (since then I've covered the run in avian netting) - but I'm curious as to what you all think these two are?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I live In Portland OR so this roo is gonna have to find a new home - he just started crowing! The white/cream hen is super sweet and loves scrambled eggs.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They are either Easter eggers or Wheaton Americana. What color are their legs? Slate or greenish, they look like they are slate.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Both EE's the roo sure is colorful

4. DPWPDX

Dec 11, 2016
    Thanks!

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Cute Easter Eggers. [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking wheaten Ameraucana. I'm not really up on this color, but I think the black ticking on the hen is not desirable. Otherwise, nice enough looking birds.

If you have a hard time finding a home for him, you might try selling them as a pair. I know it's hard to part with a hen sometimes, especially one as pretty as that (and she should lay a nice blue egg, if I'm right about breed). But it would make getting rid of him easier, and I think you could get a decent price for the pair.

7. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    I say they are Wheaten Ameraucana. I don't know the breed, but I just checked the Ameraucana Breed Club website gallery and that is what they look like except for the ticking on the back of the hen like donrae said.

8. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    I'm thinking Wheaten Ameraucana too. Pretty birds, but like donrae said, I don't think the black on the hen is desirable, which means she's not show quality, but still a beautiful bird. Dang, if I didn't live across the country, I'd buy your boy. :(

9. DPWPDX

Dec 11, 2016
    Thanks! Wheaten hen is happy here with 2 buddies, a speckled Sussex and a buff brahma, and the roo got rehomed to a fancy farm upstate!

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Wheaten Ameraucana pullet and a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana cockerel.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by