What breed are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nurseemi, Mar 8, 2017.

1. nurseemi

nurseemi Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2015
    We picked up these 3 from a hatching programme at my daughters kindy. If it helps, the company's website says the eggs they sell are:
    Australorp
    Sussex
    New Hampshire
    Leghorn
    lohmann
    [​IMG]
    Chick 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chick 2
    [​IMG]
    Chick 3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. zephyricle

zephyricle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    California
    I want to say the black chick is the autralorp and the other two are lohmann.. I'm not sure what the lohmann look like but the two yellow chicks are definitely not the other breeds. The australorp could have more white in its down feathers, but if that's the only option of a black colored bird then it should be.

3. nurseemi

nurseemi Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2015
    Thank you for your reply!
    I'm trying to google pictures of all those breeds but I think they all look the same to be honest! I was leaning towards New Hampshire for the yellow ones? Their faces are different though. One is more puffy with a short beak and the other is more slim line with a longer beak

4. soupytortoise

soupytortoise New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    Hello all! Im new to BYC as well as owning chickens. I recently was fiven a rooster, 4 lavender orps, and 2 golden hens that I was told were ameraucana and barred rock. From the research ive done my roo looks to be a blue copper copper maran...can anyone chime in and tell me what you think? Hes a year old. Thanks! [​IMG]

5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Looks like he is out of somebody's Blue Partridge Orpington project flock. Looks to have a bad case of scaly leg mites, better get that cleared up.

6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    None of these look right for the breeds listed. Likely crosses in my opinion.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

8. Hufflefluff

Hufflefluff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2015
    I have to agree: Black Australorp chicks are black and yellow/ white, and when I looked up lohmann chickens they didn't look quite like your pictures either. The stripes on the yellow one are very interesting to me; I haven't seen that type of marking before. Where did they get the eggs from? If I had to guess, I'd wager that they're some sort of barnyard layer mix; cute mutts, but no breeds in particular. New Hampshire do have yellow/ gold tinged chicks, but not with those markings. If you find out, I'd love to hear, or even just see pictures as they grow up :)

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

Not a Marans, wrong body shape, He could have some Orpington in him, but he's a mixed breed bird. I agree about his legs--treat all the birds you got for scaly leg mites.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's what I'm thinking also. Maybe post again when they're about 5-6 weeks and we'll have a better idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by