What breed are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kayley3069, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Kayley3069

Kayley3069 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2017
    My SO have recently started our flock over we only had Rhode Island Reds before, anyways we did the not so smart thing and went to a not well know hatchery and now I'm unsure of what breed of chicks we actually got. I chose Golden Comets, Buckeye's (we're in Ohio,) EEs, Speckled Sussex, and what we were told are Araucana. I'm pretty sure the EEs, Buckeyes, and Golden Comets are they actually breed the Speckled Sussex and Araucana are what I'm suspect on. I'm starting to think my Speckled are maybe EEs as well and my Araucana are Barred Rocks or EEs as well. As babies the Speckled had the little chipmunk stripe and the Araucana's looked like a Barred Rock chick and or an Araucana chick. However, now their getting their feathers their patterns seem unusual to me. The Araucana do have the sleet colored feet with yellow bottoms, and they do not have a defined rumple like my other chicks, but to me it looks like they have some tail feathers. Any info and help is appreciated, TIA.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can upload more images if necessary. Thanks again.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The red and white one(s?) = red sex link pullets (female)
    The black and white(s?) = barred rock
    Your "araucana" = Easter Egger
    I'm not seeing Speckled Sussex in the photos shown

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    No Araucana or Speckled Sussex. I see Barred Rocks.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Can you get a clear photo of the bird in between the two barred rocks (not the red sex link) in the second photo and showing at the bottom of the third and fourth photos?

5. Kayley3069

Apr 28, 2017
    She is the one below the black and white she's short of a brown speckled.

6. Kayley3069

Apr 28, 2017
    I was definitely thinking barred rock and EE.

7. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    With the green leg that can be seen (though blurry) in one picture? That is an EE

8. Kayley3069

Apr 28, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These are a little bit better, the darker "Speckled that is more dark brown than the lighter chick, wasn't having it lol.

9. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Dark speckled has green legs just like the lighter one = both Easter Eggers. Speckled Sussex would be feathered differently and, more importantly, have white legs. I have two 5 week old SS out in the coop right now but just looked through all my pictures and have none that show one in a good clear shot, specifically the legs, but can get a pic tomorrow if you like

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  10. Kayley3069

Apr 28, 2017
    thank you. it is sooo hard to tell and my pictures aren't the best. The legs look like a slate color to me with yellow on the bottom, the other two have complete slate legs, but I definitely suspected EEs or BRs. But I'm pretty sure they are EEs. I would love to see pictures of your SS, because I will probably eventually add some to my flock, I really had my heart set on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by