What breed are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by The Raw Mama, Mar 11, 2018.

1. The Raw Mama

The Raw Mama In the Brooder

May 13, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I purchased 3 black "pullets" from an auction early last fall and I was told they are all the same breed but I feel like the two roosters could be Cornish cross and the hen could be an austalorp? The hen has black ears, single comb, black/slate legs. Roosters have pea combs, more vibrant colours than I was able to capture in the pics and have mostly yellow legs with some black on the front. Both roosters look the same. All of them have great temperment.

Attached Files:

2. FeatherMtnFarms

FeatherMtnFarms Songster

Sep 13, 2015
    Wyoming
    The hen/pullet does appear to be either an Australorp or a Black sex-link, the roosters, I would say probably mixed breeds of some sort with some black copper marans in it. The comb is very strange, haven't seen one like it it almost looks like a buttercup comb with a single in the middle; a little like a strange rose comb.

3. Riche Bronson

Riche Bronson Songster

Aug 23, 2015
    Utah
    I agree. The hen looks almost identical to my Black Sex Link-(Black Star) hen. And I agree on the roosters too. (The copper coloring on the neck.)

4. FeatherMtnFarms

FeatherMtnFarms Songster

Sep 13, 2015
    Wyoming
    Yes the copper coloring on the neck is a characteristic of black copper marans, why I think it's a mix breed is because of the comb. Said marans have straight combs.

5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    All crossbreds. The roosters look like Brahma crosses to me.

6. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    Cross Breds. The hen looks like she has Brahma in her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: