what breed are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Frost Homestead, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    We had a rather bad storm in our area about a month ago, a lady from the next street over was aware that we keep backyard chickens and asked if our hens were loose. None of ours were out of the coop/run and she informed us that there were two chickens hiding under someone's truck on the next street. We decided since they were loose in the neighborhood and we had a space to keep them in we should catch them and put out ads to find the owners. They turned out to be bantams. After several weeks no one has replied to our 'found' ad.

One I'm relatively confident is a silver campine bantam pullet. Her shanks are slate. She is not laying, but the weather is +100 degrees on average daily and neither are any of my other hens.

here's a pic:

[​IMG]

The other is more than likely a cockerel. His shanks are green. He is not crowing but as a slight iridescent green on his tail feathers. [​IMG] I think he looks like a mille fleur x campine? Let me know what you think.

here's a pic:

[​IMG]

2. MinnerBuckwheat

MinnerBuckwheat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    West Michigan
    That first one looks a lot like my silver duckwing OEGB roo...

[​IMG]

3. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    [​IMG]

here are a couple of silver campine hens. I think they look just like the top one. [​IMG] wondering more about the second one...I'm not even 100% sure it's a rooster

4. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    I don't think the pullet is a Campine. It looks like her earlobes will be red, and the barring on her body is not very distinct.
    She looks very much like a bantam I used to have, who was some unknown mix of presumed game and jungle fowl. Smart bird, and a good flyer.
    I think the color is Silver Duckwing. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

5. orangescribblehead

orangescribblehead Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    The first one looks like our Egyptian Fayoumi.

6. deffinitly Fayoumi, the barring is not complete and is rather messy with the white in the roo; thats how you tell the difference of fayoumis and campines

7. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    awesome! thanks for all your input. I sold these two this evening. I didn't really want bantams, but I rescued them after the last storm and after no one replied to my 'found' ad I decided to get rid of them and use the money to get a couple larger hens. I want a couple cukoo marans and more EE. Since I live in the city the number of birds I can have is limited, so logically I want big hens/good layers. I'll have to look up the Fayoumi, I'm not familiar with them at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by