What breed are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AZAnne, Jan 27, 2012.

1. AZAnne

AZAnne Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Can anyone tell me what breed these chickens are? I have pics of a rooster and a hen here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/u/118470/azanne This site won't let me post the pictures directly. I got these chickens from Ideal as part of a surprise special. I was thinking they might be Sussex or Columbian Rocks, but their legs are black. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Anne

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
  3. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    hmm that's a tough one! I don't think they're colombian rocks, I would have said sussex but you said the legs are dark, do I see a hint of pink on the hens feet though? the roo looks quite a bit different from the hen, never seen anything like him but he's pretty

4. Rena

Rena Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Colorado
    Agreed. At least on the rooster.. we have one who looks identical to yours. Don't have any hens so I couldn't say from personal experience.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    They are silver lakenvelders and yes a pair. They have gray legs, pink feet and get white ear lopes, lay white eggs also

6. AZAnne

AZAnne Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Thanks, everyone! After looking at some websites and pictures,I agree, I think they are Lakenvelders. I actually have 4 hens and the 1 rooster. I have been getting some white eggs lately, but since my chickens free range, I wasn't able to see who was laying them. Since my other hens are all brown egg layers, though, it must be the Lakenvelders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by