What breed are these???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nick121, Dec 2, 2012.

1. nick121

nick121 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2012
    NSW - Australia
    Hey all thought I would try again to find out the breed of these chicks now they are older. We know for sure we have a pair just not what they are. Any help would be great

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sorry I don't know what breed it is but I finally get to see the fluff to feather transition . I missed my chickens they probably looked pretty funny so when I left they were all cute and tiny 2 weeks later they were .... Well chickens

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, I think it's safe to say they're something red, but those legs are throwing me off. Most red/production birds have yellow legs, it seems. Where did you get them? Are they likely to be mixes?

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    could be sussex but still to young to know for sure

5. nick121

Oct 4, 2012
    NSW - Australia
    we bought them as buff sussex (they were completely buff when we got them) but we thought maybe speckled with the red and white feathers as they grew. But we just found a red sussex chick that looks so much like ours, so thanks you might be right there

6. ChickMagnet207

ChickMagnet207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Maine
    Looks like they could be red sussex cockerels

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well then, there ya go! And you say you have a pair, I wouldn't rule out two cockerels just yet. The one might be slower to develop, but it just doesn't look feminine to me. It's really way to early to be sure, but just keep it in mind.

8. I have red Sussex chickens but possibly a red Sussex cross not sure but like in my other post I have no idea what there are supposed to look like so I think waiting for them to get older is the easiest way if figuring out what Breed they are

9. nick121

Oct 4, 2012
    NSW - Australia
    they are speckled Sussex. we have sold them to a speckled Sussex breeder who wanted new rooster lines only but took the pullet so not to spilt them :)
    Thanks for all the help
    We now have some Coronation chicks 11 days old now :)

10. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    those do not look like Speckled Sussex maybe Red but not Speckled. They would have already had the speckling with that much feathering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by