What breed are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by metalbone, Jan 20, 2013.

1. metalbone

metalbone New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    So I have been raising chickens for the last couple years and I have some in my original flock that I still don't know what they are. Most of the new birds I get are Buff Orpingtons, other than the rare one McMurray sends out with my batches. I am sure the knowledgeable folks here will have quick answers.

This one came from McMurray as a rare with my order. I have looked at their list of birds and still can't pinpoint which breed. (possible Americauna)
    [​IMG]

I was thinking this was a black marans but not sure
    [​IMG]

This is my baby mama. She is my broody and has hatched any of my chicks we try hatching. Old English?
    Looks like a Wheaten Old English Game Bantam but is larger than my other one that I know is a Wheaten Old English Game Bantams
    [​IMG]

And then there is this one. He has survived the initial culling from 2 years ago and he walks around like he knows it. Any ideas. Thinking Wheaten Old English Game Bantams
    [​IMG]

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    I believe the 1st pic id of an Americana rooster, but I'm not 100 % sure

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    first is an easter egger roo second looks like a black sex link what type of comb does she have?

4. AraucanaAnnie

AraucanaAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]The first is an Easter egger (ameraucana) cockerel. I can't tell on the second, but maybe a black star. If you got the next 2 from Mcmurray, they can't be wheaten OEGBs because MM doesn't carry them. But they do look wheaten! [​IMG]

5. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    #1 is an easter egger
    #2 is..? Her coloration looks either like a black sex-link or a BC marans, but her build doesn't. In this pic, her comb looks kinda pea-ish... if it is, then she's probably an easter egger. What color egg does she lay?
    #3 looks like a production red.
    I have no idea what breed #4 is, but he is GORGEOUS! I'm so glad he survived the cull :)

6. metalbone

metalbone New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    Thanks everyone.

#1 - I have been finding it nesting during the day so not sure if its a cockerel or not. I guess I will find out int he next few weeks egg or crow. My other Buff Orp mixes of the same age have just started crowing at 18weeks.
    #2, #3 and #4 were all bought from a local person trying to get rid of them. They are my originals that I first got into chickens with Aug 2011.
    #3 and #4 were not gotten from Mcmurray but from local ppl. The reason I am thinking they are Old English Wheaton is about 3/4 the way down this link http://www.cacklehatchery.com/oegbantams.htm. But mine are a bit bigger so i figure they are mixed with something.
    #2 I have not seen lay an egg since I have had her. If she did they are light brown

7. metalbone

metalbone New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    Ok here's a few more pics up close and better.

#2 again next a lighter version of #3
    [​IMG]

#4 again next to a true wheaton old english bantam I believe
    [​IMG]

8. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    In the first picture, the chicken that is mostly out of the shot, what is that? Because I have a chicken that might be that one's twin. I didn't ask what kind of chicken she was when we got her, but I mean man she looks exactly like that one. All I knew is she was a bantam of some sort, so perhaps your questions will provide me with insight.

Here is my girl with some chicks she had hatched...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  9. metalbone

metalbone New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    Yeah she is a lighter version of the #3 pick in my original post. I am thinking they are Wheaton Old english but not sure. They are a bit larger than the Bantams I am use to seeing so I am not sure. The below pic is about the closest I have found to what I have, but mine look just a bit different and are a bit larger, so I am guessing mine are mixed at the very least.

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/oegbantams.htm#wheaten

10. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    The chicken in my pic is only slightly smaller than my leghorn hen..when we first picked her up I thought she was a bantam, but once I got her home and saw her next to the leghorn I figured mine isn't bantam because of that...but she is the smallest chicken I have. I have a giant rooster, and a really large buff orpington hen, so my vies of chicken sizes is a little off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by