What breed are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by duluthralphie, Jul 24, 2014.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I bought a package of mixed heavy breeds from Hoover Hatchery in Iowa.

I have no idea what breeds these are, some may even be variations of the same breeds.

I will try to put the pictures in a reasonable order:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That was number 1...

Number 2 below:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I will stop with these two until I can memorize them.....

Thanks
    More to come......

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Suspect #1: Red Sexlink Rooster
    Suspect #2: Easter Egger pullet (?) Legs look green...

3. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast

1 person likes this.
  4. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    ^^^ agreed

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Thank you!

I had guessed at the EE because of the green legs but I was not sure. I had also thought at one point those were red sex link males, but I changed my mind because of how slow they grew.

Here are a couple more:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I apologize for the poor pictures on this guy. He/she is very skittish and will not get close to me without a fence between us. I have a picture of what I think is the same breed, but I am not even sure of that. This one is slightly less skittish and not nearly as good looking/colorful.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to snap the picture of her/him taking a bath.

And then these please.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TESouthern

TESouthern Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    Brock, Tx
    the black and white one (2nd) looks a lot like one of our easter eggers (I am not an expert by any means....but he/she looks very much like our little easter egger)

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    On the second set of pics

I think EE cockerel
    Lighter bird is an EE cockerel if clean legged. If you have a feather legged bird that looks like that it would be a light Brahma
    The next two I think are a Dixie Rainbow or whatever similar name that hatchery markets their slow growing meat birds under. Pioneer, etc.That bird's a cockerel
    Then a hatchery Rhode Island Red pullet.
    Last pic with two birds....a Rainbow cockerel and a red sex link pullet.

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks so much!

I know I can be trying with these type of pictures, however, I, being an old slow learner, need to be able to relate the breeds to my birds to figure out what I have. I like having the variety to look at and sit and have a brewski with in the evening. But one breed would have made it easier for me to know what I have.

I have more to submit, but I am building a new coop now, because of my limit computer skills and an antique computer it takes me a while to post pictures.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the answers!

Can EE be Red and white, Black and white or other mixtures?

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    One more thing are all green/olive legged chickens EE?

What are black legged ones?

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Leg color and egg color have no genetic co-relation. Most green legged birds are Easter eggers, but breeds like Jersey Giants have willow legs, so it's not a given to be an EE. It is by far the most commonly seen, though, and if the bird doesn't match any other breed description EE is usually the label slapped on it.

I had EE/Leghorn crosses with pretty yellow legs who laid blue and green eggs, so it doesn't always carry through.

There are some breeds that have dark blue (called Slate) legs, the true Ameraucana comes to mind. Silkies have black legs/skin, as do Sumatras and some other breeds. If you want funky black, look up the Ayam Cemani here at Greenfire

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...Ba-FvdP1ccW5ItGXy5_jnpw&bvm=bv.71667212,d.cGE

Easter eggers can be pretty much any color. Hatcheries breed them for egg color and production, with no eye to specific colors. Many of them don't meet a specific color, they're so mixed I just call them Easter egger colored [​IMG] Black and white, like your second bird, is a very common EE cockerel pattern. There are black and white EE pullets, but they have more black and it's evenly distributed over the body.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by