WHAT BREED ARE THESE???

dandar

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
central nebraska

I JUST PURCHASED THESE DUCKS AND THEY HAD NO CLUE WHAT THEY WERE, HAVE HAD THEM ABOUT 2 YEARS AND NO EGGS...I JUST PUT THE SMALLER (?) FEMALES IN WITH MY BUFF MALE DUCK AND SEE NO REACTION FROM EITHER, CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY THEM??

The three in the top picture all look like males, I'm not sure of the breed though. The two girls look like mallards.

You just bought them and have had them 2 years? Or is that a typo? If you've only had them a couple of weeks, it could take time for them to relax enough to lay eggs.

the males on top look like khaki cambells

and the ones one bottom look like mallards ,like kaessa said :)

mallards are season layer most of the time usually in spring and summer is when they lay, and mine have never laid unless at east one egg from the brood is fertil so that just my exprerience but its with all of my mallards

Last edited:
The three in the top picture all look like males, I'm not sure of the breed though. The two girls look like mallards.

You just bought them and have had them 2 years? Or is that a typo? If you've only had them a couple of weeks, it could take time for them to relax enough to lay eggs.
I just got them last night and people that had them before has had them for 2 years but never did see any eggs lol..if i assume everyone right and these are Khaki and mallard will they even breed? I am fairly new at ducks but sure enjoy watching them
Is there anyway to get the males that i just got to "get along" with my other males?

Last edited:
I just got them last night and people that had them before has had them for 2 years but never did see any eggs lol..if i assume everyone right and these are Khaki and mallard will they even breed? I am fairly new at ducks but sure enjoy watching them
Is there anyway to get the males that i just got to "get along" with my other males?
Yes they will breed with any and every female. The big thing here is how many females do you have? Most males need at least 3 females to keep from over breeding. My boy had 5 and was over breeding the smallest 2. So if you have lots and lots of girls it should work, just go super slow. Let them see each other for a while without actually being able to touch and then go to supervised time for a while. It may take a week or longer to work out.

Yep, they will breed. How many males vs how many females do you have? If those are the only two females you have, and you have 4 or more drakes, there could be serious problems. There needs to be at least 2-3 females per drake, preferably more. The males you have will fight over the females unless you run two separate flocks, one male flock and one female flock.

There could be any number of reasons why they didn't see any eggs... were the ducks free ranging? They could have hidden the eggs. I'm willing to bet the reason YOU haven't seen any eggs is that they're still upset about the move and won't lay for a few weeks or more.

thanks for the information...Currently I have 5 males I have the 3 in the picture and then i have a really pretty buff khaki...and then i have a mated pair of blue swedish...she is laying eggs but won't sit on them during the day..this is how i am running them now....I have the blue swedish drake in with my very large and somewhat aggressive rooster........then in another pen i have the 2 female mallards in with the pale buff drake and then I have the 3 new drakes and the blue swedish female running free range. I am aware that new males will fight, didn't really want the last 3 but they wanted them to go together...
So r u saying I can put ALL my males together? won't they try to kill each other???? I was wondering this morning if i could put the females all together...
I am planning to get rid of the males that i just got cuz really all i wanted was the females so i would have 2F---1D and then the swedish together..I am kind of limited on cage space so not sure how i should pen them..all of my chickens i let free range and would like to let the ducks so have been alternating who are penned free range
vary heavy muscular rooster some what aggressive to hens

Back
Top Bottom