What breed are they?

9d84runner

Songster
6 Years
Jul 20, 2016
Yuma, AZ
I have 2 chickens that I am 99% sure they are both roosters. The barred looking one is a bantam we got for free and I am guessing is a Bielefelder? I have no idea what the black one is. Came out of the rare breed bin and does not look like any of the breeds that was listed on the card. They are 8 weeks old.

PXL_20230422_151748577.jpg
PXL_20230424_143236132.MP.jpg
PXL_20230422_151806560.jpg

Last edited:
The gray and copper EE roo looks like a prairie bluebell egger roo to me, if they sourced the chicks from Hoovers hatchery. I have a female that looks just like him (but female). This is her at 6 wks and adult (in front). She got copper on her face along her comb and down her neck once she matured fully. I'll see if I can find a pic of the copper.

Attachments

• IMG_3533.jpg
    IMG_3533.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3532.jpg
    IMG_3532.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4455(1).jpg
    IMG_4455(1).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 3
The gray and copper EE roo looks like a prairie bluebell egger roo to me, if they sourced the chicks from Hoovers hatchery. I have a female that looks just like him (but female). This is her at 6 wks and adult (in front). She got copper on her face along her comb and down her neck once she matured fully. I'll see if I can find a pic of the copper.
He was jet black as a chick but does look like her.

I aggre that the barred one is a biefelder bantam. I am stumped on the other one. They are both roosters
He is not. First of the all, those are incredibly rare and literally just released to the public from a single source this year. They haven't even been released long enough for anyone to have old enough stock to breed and sell except the original importer-Greenfire Farms. Secondly Bielefelders have much different type and yellow skin. Both are cockerels. (The correct terminology for a male under a year old.) The first is a Crele Old English Game Bantam and second an Egger of sorts. The strain may be a Prairie Bluebell Egger

He is not. First of the all, those are incredibly rare and literally just released to the public from a single source this year. They haven't even been released long enough for anyone to have old enough stock to breed and sell except the original importer-Greenfire Farms. Secondly Bielefelders have much different type and yellow skin. Both are cockerels. (The correct terminology for a male under a year old.) The first is a Crele Old English Game Bantam and second an Egger of sorts. The strain may be a Prairie Bluebell Egger

Well that's good to know. I could not figure out what he was. He was a brown chick with no markings and was thrown in as a free chick so it's always fun trying to figure out what you have. Everything I looked up, didn't match him as a chick so the closest I could figure out was a Bielefelder. I knew someone here would know what he was.

Back
Top Bottom