what breed are they?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by tjtops, Oct 20, 2009.

1. tjtops

tjtops Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2009
    Hi everyone....delighted to be here! Please can someone tell me what breed they think my rooster is? And ditto his 'wives'?? I'm in Spain and got them (separately) here....the hens as POL pullets....seem to be pretty standard for egg-laying here...you either get these or black pullets, which are slightly dearer. Rupert would be about two years old now, and the 'wives' are around 18 months, I think (and still laying pretty well, bless them.) The problem also is I can't tell whether their first lot of offspring (now 13 weeks) are male or female.....and there's a black one, a white/brown and a white one....eeek! I've also got 3 new chicks too..(2/3 weeks old) ironically, the colour combination has turned out EXACTLY the same...how wierd is that!
    [​IMG]

2. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    The wives look to be Gold comets, The roo looks to be a Birchen something hard to tell though a close up would help on him.

Oh yeah and [​IMG]

3. tjtops

Oct 20, 2009
    Aha...OK....thanks.....here's a slightly closer pic (camera packed up immediately afterwards!!) ...plus a better one of one of the wives...terrorising whatr used to be feral cats!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. tjtops

Oct 20, 2009
    Right.....got some more pics now! First off...Rupert, in all his (not inconsiderable) glory.
    [​IMG]

Now the 3 older 'chicks' I can't tell the sex of!!! The black one is slightly smaller, and appears to have no comb development yet...but I can't see any sign of spurs growing on the other two....the joys of mixing breeds I guess!! Please help!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:looks like all roosters except the black one. the tan and white roosters are red sexlink and the little black one looks to be a black sexlink hen
    the big black and white roosters looks like a cross of possibly a delaware and something else

6. tjtops

Oct 20, 2009
    ooooohhh.thanks for reply...but even more confused!!!

7. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    what are you confused about?

Quote:

8. tjtops

Oct 20, 2009
    First, thank you for taking the trouble to reply...appreciated!
    I'm confused cos as I said, I can't see any sign whatsoever of spur development on the brown and white, and brown 'adolescents'....the only things I notice are the lack of comb development and smaller size of the black one....but could this just be the result of mixed breeding???
    And could the rooster be an Andalucian....or is he a cross bred??

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    He looks like a Spangled Hamburg mix.

10. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    I have a wt. and black roo same color pattern as this one except for the feet my roos feet are more of a white/with fleshy red on them. I always thought him too be part Silver-laced Wyandotte X some sorta game combo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by