What breed are we? lol...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GreggsEggs, Aug 31, 2007.

1. GreggsEggs

GreggsEggs Cooped Up

Aug 31, 2007
    Caneyville, KY
    Please excuse my ignorance….. But I’m a city slicker, who moved to the country a couple years ago. I knew next to nothing about chickens, but about 16 months ago I got a wild hair you know where and decided to raise a few chickens for eggs and one day meat. I did not start with just one or two or even just a few but jumped in blindly with both feet and bought 26 pullets. I bought 10 RIR, 10 Black Sexlinks (I believe), and 5 I don’t recall their breed. The hatchery threw in a 26th odd ball pullet for good luck. That pullet must have been good luck because 16 months later, I still have all 26. They have been laying 2 dozen eggs a day and about 1 dozen a day during the winter. Long story not to short….. I’d like to know which is which and what breed. I am building a huge 960sq ft coop and run and want to buy more of each breed and would like to not look dumb when buying them. Thanks for any help…..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not sure on the first one, but the pretty black and white one in the second pic is a Silver Laced Wyandotte-I have three. The main girl in the last pic looks like a Black Sexlink.

3. GreggsEggs

GreggsEggs Cooped Up

Aug 31, 2007
    Caneyville, KY
    Thank you, Speckledhen. Now if someone could help identify the hen in the first picture?

4. speckledhen

You know what? She looks like a Welsummer! It just hit me. Sorry it took awhile. Do you remember ordering that breed?

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

She looks like my Welsummer hens.

6. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    But her legs are not yellow like a welsummer's should be.

7. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    #1 looks like an EE with the odd single comb.
    The color of the feathers and leg color make it a pretty sure bet, from my experience.
    Not sure if I'd count on green/blue eggs though with that comb, but if i'm right and it is an EE, feel free to add to my post on EE's and Egg color, would be some good input to get [​IMG]

Added, I took a second look with my glasses ON and the legs arn't quite as green as I thought, so I'll bow to others opinions on what it is. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  8. speckledhen

If she's an EE, then she also has no beard or muffs, though, and the body type is also wrong. Unless there's a breed that isn't coming to my mind as it should, she looks much more like a Welsummer with the wrong color legs. It would be interesting to know the egg color she lays.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  9. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    That was the only breed that I could think of as well Cyn, but the legs were just throwing me off.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Brown Leghorn????

This is the pic of Welsummer pullet...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by