What Breed are we?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by newlyweds, Jul 16, 2010.

1. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Hi all I posted weeks ago about my Ideal Surprise Pullet order( here's the original post https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=346496&p=1), and received some gals I have no clue as to the breed, now they are about 7 weeks old.

Could you help me out?

#1-I am thinking some type of oriental? Mostly black with some browning markings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2- all black as a chick and is still 100% black with white earlobes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While I am here I also have a Speckled Sussex about 8 weeks old, pullet or Roo?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I think the first ones are crossed and the SS is a roo.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] Scared me! I thought the 1st pic was a buzzard on a carcass [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. newlyweds

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Nope not crosses, they are from Ideal poultry pullet surprise.

5. newlyweds

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Quote:Ha Ha!! Nope just watermelon!![​IMG]

6. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    No so sure on the first one. The second I think is Minorca. The SS I think is a pullet.

7. newlyweds

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Quote:Cool I didn't think of Minorca!

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Oh OK Then the first one doese kinda look like a oritental game of some sort, I still say roo on the SS, I raise them and they are tricky buggers to sex, but that is a typical roo, pale comb and body shape and all.

9. newlyweds

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Quote:Oh OK Then the first one doese kinda look like a oritental game of some sort, I still say roo on the SS, I raise them and they are tricky buggers to sex, but that is a typical roo, pale comb and body shape and all.

Thanks I just wish I had some clue about the first one, if it is a oriental I've heard that aren't friendly or like to be handle but this pullet is sweet and docile.

On the SS I am leaning towards Roo also, the comb has grown in the past week or two, and I can't tell if there are any saddle feathers or not, it personality also seems Roo-ish (if that is a word) to me. Of course I was hoping for a pullet. How long does it take to know for sure? Or do I have to wait for a crow or egg?

10. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    # 1 looks similar to my Sumatra chick. The pea comb should help you narrow the search.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by