1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed? Australorp?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by umallan, Mar 12, 2013.

1. umallan

umallan New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    South Chatham, MA
    Sole survivor from a hatchery shipment - though she was an Australorp but there is a lot of white coming into "her" feathers. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Maybe an Ancona? Does it have a single comb?

3. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

its not an australorp for sure to much white and not enough black on its legs but i have no clue im not that good at telling their breeds when they are younger like chicks but once they get a little older like fully feathered i can tell better

4. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

x2 although the leg color is off, but maybe that's just a hatchery problem

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Not an Ancona. I'm thinking its a Moulted Orpington chick!!
    :)

6. umallan

umallan New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    South Chatham, MA
    I had to Google Moulted Orp - very pretty but I doubt Meyers is breeding those. I didn't order an Ancona (could be a freebie?) - I guess I'm going to have to wait a bit and see what happens!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  7. ktmikal

ktmikal Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    That looks just like my Ancona babies. They have little spots on their heads and were mostly white.

8. ktmikal

ktmikal Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Here's a pic of one of my anconas. Sorry I didn't have a better pic of her apparently. That's an australorp in the back right and the ancona is right in front of her behind the duck. In the picture below that you can see them kind of grouped together and the top of their little heads.

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Bellatrixed

Bellatrixed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2013
    Yours has more white, but I have a similar looking chick that is (supposed to be, at least) an Australorp... center chick:

[​IMG]

The reason I'm pointing it out is because mine has some white feathers growing in on its wings. I always just assumed its because it was just hatchery quality or maybe the white will go away when it gets its adult plumage. It has the same leg shading and similar head markings as yours, just with more black. Who knows! lol

1 person likes this.
  10. umallan

umallan New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    South Chatham, MA
    It is hard to tell but your Ancona looks very similar to my mystery chick! Thanks so much for the input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by