What breed bantam is this - 8 months old with huge white ear lobes

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shelly_WNC, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Shelly_WNC

Shelly_WNC Songster

Feb 23, 2010
    Pleasant Shade, TN
    Hi All,

I just bought this pair this weekend, they are about 8 months old. I 'thought' the guy said Brahma but that can't be right. Someone else thought old english game bantam, but do those have huge white ear lobes?

Can anyone tell what they are. I just love their color and just wanted to know what they are so when I tell people about them I get it right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Dutch bantams, maybe?

3. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
  4. lazyeacres

lazyeacres In the Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    They are certainly beautiful, no matter what they are!

5. Shelly_WNC

Shelly_WNC Songster

Feb 23, 2010
    Pleasant Shade, TN
    Thank you all!

I bought them at a 'chicken trade day' in TN ... and talked to so many people that I forgot what he said they were but they do look like the Dutch, with the 5 point single comb and big white ear lobe. He also said these type like to go brooder and that fits the description from your link.

These are more first Bantams and I'm in love all ready. I only have had large fowl SL Wyandottes, so what a treat.

6. Shelly_WNC

Shelly_WNC Songster

Feb 23, 2010
    Pleasant Shade, TN
    I am still trying to discern if these are Old English game or Dutch? some other folks are sure they are Old English ... now I need to research the difference between the two.

and what is an American game? Is that just a generalization?

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Crowing

Jan 14, 2008
    Old English have red lobes. You sometimes see them with a small amount of white [a d/q] but not with big enamel white lobes like those. They are Dutch Banatam although their variety isn't clear. Probably the result of multiple varieties running together.

8. Shelly_WNC

Shelly_WNC Songster

Feb 23, 2010
    Pleasant Shade, TN
    Quote:thank you for the great explanation! I did suspect they weren't OEG due to the white lobes

9. ya, not dought dutch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: