What Breed Bantams Do We Have? Are they all Bantams? What Gender? :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mama2chickies, Jun 24, 2010.

1. mama2chickies

mama2chickies Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Here we have Patty- she? has 4 toes, and though it is hard to see there is brown in here wings, was thinking hen due to comb?
    [​IMG]

Next is Bee- I know he does have a buttercup comb, and is a rooster he crows and tries to pin down the ladies.
    [​IMG]

Nugget- you can see the brown better in his(?) wings Roo or Hen I was thinking Roo die to his red comb and personality?
    [​IMG]

Houdini- this one has me totally stumped! Roo or Hen? Breed? has been very slow to mature, very lanky and long legged ,and black comb?
    [​IMG]

can you see the brown on her? neck it is almost like the black sex link I have(except she has it on her chest instead of back neck)
    [​IMG]

Thanks so much in advance! I have been looking for months with no luck!

2. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

The last two have black skin? [​IMG] Hmm. The roo is deff. a buttercup.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't think there are any bantam buttercups, so your's is probably LF. The last 2 look like some type of game, probably old english bantams. I think #1 is a dark brahma bantam, and #3 is a cochin bantam. I also think they are both roosters, but you didn't say how old they are. #3 is definitely a rooster.

Black OEGB do have slate legs, so that's correct.

4. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    Quote:I politely disagree about number one, I have a dark brahma banty and she didnt have solid fathers, so maybe a DBx? That is definately possible.I agree about number 3 being cochin also number one I believe is a cochin cross due to the feathered legs. DB do not have feathered legs. The last two do look like they could possibly be games as well. Not sure though on the sex, thinking hen but hard to tell with them being black skinned and all. Hope I helped atleast a little bit lol. I have cochins and golden sebrights and a db hen that are all banty that is about as far as I reach. I do have full sized games tho and they look much like your last two except mine are white and brown

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I politely disagree about number one, I have a dark brahma banty and she didnt have solid fathers, so maybe a DBx? That is definately possible.I agree about number 3 being cochin also number one I believe is a cochin cross due to the feathered legs. DB do not have feathered legs. The last two do look like they could possibly be games as well. Not sure though on the sex, thinking hen but hard to tell with them being black skinned and all. Hope I helped atleast a little bit lol. I have cochins and golden sebrights and a db hen that are all banty that is about as far as I reach. I do have full sized games tho and they look much like your last two except mine are white and brown

Dark brahmas do have feathered legs, just like any other brahma (buff, light). I don't know if you have them confused with something else or what [​IMG]
    This is a pic of a dark brahma hen:
    http://www.omlet.co.uk/images/originals/brahma_bantam_dark_f_600.gif
    And a dark brahma roo:
    http://www.omlet.co.uk/images/originals/brahma_bantam_dark_m_600.gif
    And day-old chicks:
    http://image.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/500/dbb_2_x.jpg

edit to ask missred what you mean by solid feathers? If you mean hard feathering, the only birds that shouldn't have hard feathers are silkies.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  6. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    #1 looks to be a brichin cochin roo
    #2 Buttercup roo
    #3 Brichen Cochin roo
    #4 Might be a sumatra pullet

7. mama2chickies

May 17, 2010
    Thank you all for the replies! I would LOVE to have a Sumatra and am really thinking that this is what my black one is! As for the feathered footed ones their skin is not black. I have looked at the birchin cochin, and the dark brahma am thinking I may need to wait until they feather out completely. As for the buttercup he is a bantam and they do exist
    http://www.americanbuttercupclub.com/, but what kind I am not sure. I was also wondering what makes everyone say roos for both the cochins? I was thinking Nugget the 3rd was because of the larger and reder comb. But what is it about Patty the first that says roo?I am new to all this and trying to learn.
    Thanks again I am so glad to have some leads!

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:#1 can't be a cochin, it has a rose or pea comb.

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:The first one looks to have a rose or pea comb, I'm going by the color of the comb on that one [​IMG]

10. mama2chickies

May 17, 2010
    Can you explain that to me, how because of her comb she wouldn't be cochin? I know they do have white skin, feathered feet,and four toes. I thought only silkies and cochins had feathered feet? I have lots yet to learn!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by