What breed blends well with Silkies?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KrazyKhick, Feb 24, 2012.

1. KrazyKhick

KrazyKhick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    I adore my silkies but getting a little frazzled at the broody ways. I currently have 3 silkies and one black australorp hen that all do very well together. I would like to add this spring at least 10 more hens. I'll be purchasing them as chicks. Raising them inside until they can go outside, then they will be in the nursery section of the big coop/run. Everyone can get used to each other through the fence. So my question is this: If I love the friendly silkie but not so much broodiness what breed of chicken would be best?

I am trying to for see any info needed to help me with the choice. I have a VERY big coop/run so there will be no crowding. It actually looks very silly now with just 4. Maybe I should get more australorps? What are cochins? Are they silkies? Do they go broody as much?

Thank you very much! I am so excited to be putting in my order soon....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Cochins are very sweet, but also very broody. (They're an entirely different breed from Silkies.)
    Maybe you could put a broody silkie hen in the nursery with your chicks, then as they grow into adulthood, they'll already be accustomed to the smaller, gentler silkies.

I would recommend buff orps. They're a very sweet tempered breed. And you'll get some nice brown eggs from them. I also had good luck with Golden Laced Wyandottes. They're good layers and beautiful.

Sharon

3. KrazyKhick

Feb 5, 2012
    wow, I didn't know you could do that! So when the babies are old enough to go outside I can put my best mothering silkie in with the babies? To raise them sort of? That's awesome! Oh now I'm even more excited! Thanks for the heads up. The last thing I need is more broody hens to give me more roosters.

4. KrazyKhick

Feb 5, 2012
    Are the buff colored chickens in this thread buff orpingtons? I just love penny, 5th pic down.

5. KrazyKhick

Feb 5, 2012
  6. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    No, I don't the she meant that, because that can lead to catastrophe.

Put the Silkie hen in a pen just big enough for her. Then put some eggs in a nest box that she will start setting on. Once she has set on the eggs for 2.5 weeks at least, then introduce the DAY OLD ONLY chicks. Older chicks probably won't imprint on the hen, and a non-brooding hen will probably violently kill all the chicks.

7. KrazyKhick

Feb 5, 2012
    Oh thank you. Glad to know it. I don't think I'll be able to get day old....that would have been cool though. Live and learn :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by