What breed/breeds is my rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by StellaBlueBella, Mar 8, 2014.

1. StellaBlueBella

StellaBlueBella New Egg

Jan 15, 2014
    [​IMG]

This is my rooster Jack. Can anyone help me figure out what breed or mix he is?

This is my first post. I am new to chickens and I am learning so much here :) Thank you!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    With the peacomb, cheek puffs and beard, I'd vote Jack is a very pretty Easter Egger.

3. StellaBlueBella

StellaBlueBella New Egg

Jan 15, 2014
    Thank you!

4. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Jack's a good looking fellow!

I think he might be a mix. Easter Egger and possibly Wheaten Marans. His coloring, especially the black chest with brownish spots (with the brown wing triangle) reminds me strongly of Wheaten Marans. French Black Coppers don't have a brown wing triangle, and have feathered shanks and toes. The English version has clean shanks. And his face, muffs/ beard, green? featherless legs remind me more of Easter Eggers.

Marans and Easter Eggers are quite often mixed to create, "Olive Eggers" to add new colors to an egg basket. Many Marans have a dark brown egg normally, but, when mixed with EE, or other blue/green layers the mix makes a pretty olive egg hue. I think he may possibly have come from such a hatch.

You can test this theory, but, it will take awhile... mate him to a blue or green egg layer, hatch eggs, and see what color eggs the next generation lays- if they are olive, you have your answer. If green/ blue, he is EE.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  5. StellaBlueBella

StellaBlueBella New Egg

Jan 15, 2014
    Awesome! I am so glad I asked. What great info :) I just bought an E.E. pullet, once she starts laying and hanging out with Jack I will incubate a few eggs and see what happens. I am learning so much. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by