What breed Chicken do I have?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chad Nolen, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Chad Nolen

Chad Nolen In the Brooder

Sep 2, 2017
    So we are trying to hatch our 1st batch from the chickens in our coop. We aren’t sure what kind of hens we have and what we will get from the hatch. We definitely have a Nice Rhode Island Red Rooster, but what are our hens? And what will we get when bred with our rooster?

Attached Files:

Better Than Rubies likes this.
  2. Chad Nolen

Sep 2, 2017
    Is the 1 a sex link or New Hampshire?

What kind of Easter Eggers are the white one and the other?

The other brands I’m aware of

3. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    As far as I know, there isn't a difference between EE types beyond "bearded" and "nonbearded." I think 1's a New Hampshire. Your picture's towards the light, so it's a little hard to tell, but I don't see any white tail or neck feathers.

EDT: Also, the Barred Rock, when bred with the Roo, will give black, red-throated hens and barred boys. (Black Sex-links)
    The New Hampshire will give what you'll see labelled as a "production red" on any hatchery site.
    The EE's are impossible to say. The partridge coloring of the darker one almost always wins out over other colors, but no breed history, so I don't know what she's concealing under that color.
    The white could be silver, dominant white, or recessive white. Dominant white x Red Columbian gives white with scattered black feathers, Recessive White could get black chicks, and silver would get you lemon/gold cockerels and red pullets.

EDT2: Obviously, RIRxRIR gets you RIR.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Better Than Rubies likes this.
  4. Squishychicken

Squishychicken Songster

Oct 13, 2017
    North carolina
    Easter eggers, red star and a barred rock. yes the roo is a rhod island red. you will get mixes when these are bred together.

5. Chad Nolen

Sep 2, 2017
    Easter eggers is just a term. What kind of Easter eggers are they?

6. sylviethecochin

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    They're not Ameracauna, Aracauna, or a recognisable Olive Egger line. Ergo, they are bearded Easter Eggers. There's not really a "kind" beyond that.

Spartan22 and DaviJones like this.
  7. DaviJones

DaviJones Songster

Nov 7, 2017
    South Western, AZ
    Easter egger is a term but it usually just refers to a bird that carries the bluish egg gene. There aren't really kinds as they are usually just mutts.

sylviethecochin likes this.
  8. Chad Nolen

Sep 2, 2017
    Got it.

So when I breed with the red star? I will also get a mutt?

9. sylviethecochin

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Red stars have white tails. I'm pretty sure your bird has a dark tail. And yes, it would be a mutt if she's a red star. If she's a New Hampshire, the offspring's a mutt called a Production Red (Like a labradoodle--a named mutt.)

EDT: And Red Stars are mutts in and of themselves. They're RIRs crossed with Rhode Island Whites.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  10. Roosters110

Roosters110 Chirping

Mar 10, 2018
    Looks like two Easter eggers,a barred rock and the light yellow/orange one looks like New Hampshire Red,have a ton of Mew Hampshires.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: