What breed/color is this pair of ducks. Help I think they are not what I think

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by r4eboxer, Jan 10, 2013.

1. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    [​IMG]

I just got this pair form Holderread's, I know what they say they are but I'm not an expert on ducks or colors. I posted this pic on facebook and some of my friends commented about the birds and I actually was expecting a different looking pair.

So all of you experts out there what breed and color are these ducks? I'll revel what they are suppose to be after I get a fair amount of comment. I am a novice at colors so I want to see what you all think before I ask Wanita about them.

2. Herducks

Herducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2012
    Sebastopol, CA
    The color is gray. Breed I can't help. They don't look like calls, maybe the australian spotted?

3. sarasweatman

sarasweatman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Welsh Harlequin silver or gold

4. Herducks

Aug 12, 2012
    Sebastopol, CA
    They look too small to me to be W.H., how big are they?

5. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    They are a bantam breed. But I'm feeling better about the color though the color has not been suggested so far.

6. Herducks

Aug 12, 2012
    Sebastopol, CA
    They are def. too small to be W.H. if they are bantam size. Mine are a little bigger then my Indian runners.

7. Nebraskagirl

Nebraskagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    How can you judge size? There is nothing to compare size with? Personally I think the male is a Welsh Harlequin, but the female, not so sure.

8. Herducks

Aug 12, 2012
    Sebastopol, CA
    post 5 says they are a bantam, plus if you compare them to the size of the openings in the fence they are small. Way too small to be W.H. There are several breeds with that coloring in the males.

9. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    I will say that on Facebook someone commented that they look like Mallards, I know they are not mallards completely but could they be a mix? Someone also said they looked like her silver appleyards. I know Holddereads knows what they are doing and I do not. I just expected a different color. Any other guesses? Oh and this is not the breed I had reserved as my adult elite show quality birds. I originally wanted their ESQ silver appleyards and they did not have them so they offered this pair of ESQ instead. So I don't know the breed or coloring AT ALL

10. Herducks

Aug 12, 2012
    Sebastopol, CA
    They do look like silver appleyards, the male more than the female to me, but it is not a great pic of the feamale so hard to tell. They do have mini silver appleyards so maybe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by