What Breed, colour and Sex are these Quail???

Discussion in 'Quail' started by cluckcluckluke, Mar 2, 2014.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

I have got 4 quail here and I am worried we have 2 roosters and 2 hens, which is a to high ration of boys to girls, right?
    Also I am interested in really knowing what breed they are as I think I have been given some incorrect information.

Here they are:
    [​IMG]
    Group shot. They do not live in this cage if anyone is worried.lol.
    [​IMG]
    This is "Snow White". We think Snow is a female.
    [​IMG]
    She got a little wet toady. You can still see her black tail markings though.
    [​IMG]
    This is "Captain". We have been told he is a Golden Courtnix. We think Captain is a he.
    [​IMG]
    Captain ^. Captain is named so, because he only has one eye. The other is just a black socket. The previous owners said he has had it since a chick. They think one of his siblings pecked it out. He is perfectly fine with it and has obviously adapted.
    [​IMG]
    Captain ^
    [​IMG]
    This is "Classic" named so because we where told this was your common Coutnix. As you can see Classic has been getting a lot of attention from the roosters. Is this a problem?
    [​IMG]
    We think Classic is a girl.
    [​IMG]
    Classic^
    [​IMG]
    This is Cleopatra. We now think Cleo is a boy. If so we will have to call him King Tutankhamen.
    [​IMG]
    Also told he is a Golden Courtnix.
    [​IMG]

Lucas[​IMG].

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Italian roosters are my favorite coturnix color. Italians color sex the same as pharaohs. You have two italian roosters and one pharaoh (brown) hen there. The only way to sex white birds is vent sexing or waiting for them to crow/lay eggs. you can usually force a crow out of a rooster by separating it from the other birds. Put the white one where it can't see the other birds and wait for it to crow, if it is a hen it may make an angry cricket chirp, only the hens can do this chirp.

The missing feathers are the roosters scalping her. It won't really get better when you split them up because coturnix roosters breed too actively to be kept with a solo mate 9 times out of 10. Minimum you want 3 hens to each rooster and I suggest 5-7 per rooster for the health of a flock. Best you can do at this point is hope that A&M (white one) is a hen and you can probably squeek by with just two hens under a roo. Hopefully.

3. cluckcluckluke

4. dc3085

You could keep as a pet, or get him some more girls, or you could eat him but one coturnix makes a sorry meal. Good Luck!

5. cluckcluckluke

We are going to try and sell him and then replace him with another female[​IMG].
    Thank you!

6. dc3085

Good Luck! He's a looker so it shouldn't be too hard to find him a home.

7. cluckcluckluke

Sounds like you'd be interested[​IMG].

8. dc3085

If only. I have 30 hens and 6 roosters so I'm pretty well covered [​IMG]

9. cluckcluckluke

Oh, WOW.lol!!

Well I also see you are from California. I am down here in Australia[​IMG]!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by