What Breed Could It Be?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ClareScifi, Feb 10, 2014.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    I was chatting with an author who has chickens, and she told me she has heard there are full-sized Silver-Laced Sebright chickens. I have a Silver-Laced Sebright Bantam, and that is news to me. Silver-Laced Sebrights are true bantams. She said she thought they were beautiful but she had decided against getting the full-sized ones because she had read they do best free-ranging, and she doesn't have space for that. Can anyone think which breed of chicken she might be thinking of? Or has a full-sized Silver-Laced Sebright been developed recently? Or is there a Silver-Laced chicken of a different breed that requires free-ranging to prosper? Just curious as to what she might be thinking of?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    There are full sized silver laced breeds, but none are Sebrights and none have to be free ranged. I believe most birds do better with free ranging, but IMO anyone telling you a specific breed needs to be free ranged has some educational deficiencies.

3. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    Maybe she was thinking of a Silver Laced Wyandotte?

4. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    I think you are rigt chickencoop789. I researched it and read that old-timey breeds like Barred Rocks & Wyandottes forage very well. I read that Wyandottes prefer free-ranging, although they don't require as much land as some larger breeds do. It is thought modern breeds may have the self-protection instinct bred right out of them and are thus unsuitable for free-ranging. Very interesting:

http://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/wyandotte-chickens.html

5. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    On second thought, I'll bet she meant either Silver-Spangled or Silver-Penciled Hamburg. They come in Bantam form, and this article says they really do need to free-range:

Yes, I think she must have meant Silver-Spangled Hamburg: http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/Hamburg-B48.aspx
    [​IMG]
    Chicken Breeds - Hamburg
    www.mypetchicken.com
    Chicken Breed Information - Hamburg - Hamburgs are a delightful breed known in E...ngland as the "Dutch Everyday Layers" or sometimes simply "Everlayers." Not only are they a beautiful breed to show, they're prolific layers of smallish white eggs, and they fare very well in cold weather. Hamburgs are f...See More

6. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    I would bet a Silver-Penciled Hamburg would really appeal to a writer. LOL. I'll bet they are beautiful, too. Now I want some!

7. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    That's probably what she meant. They are very beautiful birds [​IMG] Standard Hamburgs are pretty small so I could only imagine how small a bantam Hamburg is [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by