what breed could make this comb?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hdowden, Oct 6, 2012.

1. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    [​IMG]

he's part d'uccle but can't think of what else could be in him to give this comb. he also has 5 toes. i thought buttercup but i don't think that fits...the comb and the 5 toes are the only things that aren't d'uccle like other than those two things he looks like a d'uccle all the way

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

White Dorkings have a rose comb and 5 toes, so maybe that's what it is that gave him those characteristics?

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    sultan cross. he looks like my crosses. some came out with 5 toes, some didn,t some had feathered shanks, some didnt and yes a sultan or polish cross can come out with a buttercup comb, most of mine have

4. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i looked at him better today and he does have the feathers under his comb that would create a crest so i am thinking a sultan/d'uccle mix

5. zurcherpoultry

zurcherpoultry Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2012
    Only common breeds I can think of with five toes are Silkies, Sultans, and Dorkings.

6. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i'm pretty sure it's part sultan now that i looked at hem closer today :)

7. MicheleC

MicheleC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Lake Charles
    I have a Silkie/EE rooster and the combs look almost identicle

8. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    he doesn't have any silkie in him whats so ever. my mom has sultans and i have d'uccles. he has sultan colored legs and a small small crest that i over looked, then he has the over all body shape of a d'uccle, then there's the vulture hocks, the feathered legs, and the beard of both of those breeds. i will take some more pics of him tomorrow and try and get them posted. what threw me off was the small crest that i over looked at first (thought he didn't have one) [​IMG] he is a very handsome cockerel just not sure if i will actually keep him and play around with him (breeding wise) or if i will find him a new home. still debating on that one but i really do love his looks [​IMG] but i really don't need any cockerels that i wont be using in my breedings. we will see what happens i do hatch out mixed chicks for getting pullets and so fatr i have had more pullets hatch rather than cockerels which is a good thing though i might have 2 lavender d'uccle cockerels to sell here soon once i know for sure that they are cockerels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by