What breed could my mutt chick be šŸ§

ayeitsmeme

Songster
6 Years
Mar 23, 2016
North Carolina
So I got some hatching eggs that recently hatched out. All the babes were either fathered by a Ameraucana or a BCM. And I picked out eggs that were either dark like a BCM or blue green so I was pretty sure I had gotten eggs that were one of the 2. Except to make 27 I did pick out a rather large 'pretty' brown egg that I knew was likely to be some interesting mutt. Well he is šŸ¤£. So apparently their BCM roo happened to be Genghis Khan because every single one of the birds other than muttlet have fuzzy legs and look exactly like a BCM and some have fuzzy cheeks. This fella is bright yellow, fuzzy cheeked, and clean legged. So obviously an Ameraucana and something that lays brown eggs.

Someone tell me it's a buff orp mix šŸ¤žšŸ¤£
20200629_154822.jpg
20200629_154053.jpg
20200606_173731.jpg

His egg is second from the bottom on the very left!

Doesn't look like it has the right feet colour....but that doesn't mean it isn't partly buff orp.
And my BO's mainly lay cream eggs. I might have had the occasional tinted brown one, but not that colour.
My Light Sussex lays eggs more similar to that one.
He is a cutie, by the way.

Doesn't look like it has the right feet colour....but that doesn't mean it isn't partly buff orp.
And my BO's mainly lay cream eggs. I might have had the occasional tinted brown one, but not that colour.
My Light Sussex lays eggs more similar to that one.
He is a cutie, by the way.
Ah you have a point about the feet and the egg! Oh another point not in the initial post, hes got a dark spot on his back. It's pretty small and there's just the one. I know for a fact that she also had cuckoo maran hens, is there any chance it could be that? I know very little about that breed or the genetics it would pass!
And thank you šŸ˜Š

I am even more doubtful of it being any part Cuckoo Maran.
Cuckoo Marans again have different feet colour. They have white patches on their heads, not black. And I'm pretty sure they lay very dark brown eggs, but don't quote me on that.
But can I see the patch? BO's do get speckles, but I'm not sure if that's what you're seeing.
It should be easier to tell when he gets a few feathers in.

I am even more doubtful of it being any part Cuckoo Maran.
Cuckoo Marans again have different feet colour. They have white patches on their heads, not black. And I'm pretty sure they lay very dark brown eggs, but don't quote me on that.
But can I see the patch? BO's do get speckles, but I'm not sure if that's what you're seeing.
It should be easier to tell when he gets a few feathers in.
Sure heres a pic šŸ˜Š
20200701_170823.jpg
20200701_171217.jpg

I'm positive that has no BO in it.
The feathers are coming in white, I notice.
He has such an adorable face.
Buff orps often have speckles on their heads like this;
This is my 2 week old Buff Orpington. Sorry for the picture quality, he wouldn't stay still!

Attachments

• IMG_20200630_205259.jpg
    IMG_20200630_205259.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200630_195648.jpg
    IMG_20200630_195648.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 3
I'm positive that has no BO in it.
The feathers are coming in white, I notice.
He has such an adorable face.
Buff orps often have speckles on their heads like this;
This is my 2 week old Buff Orpington. Sorry for the picture quality, he wouldn't stay still!
Such sweet babies! And yeah the feather coloring is white huh. I messaged the lady I got the eggs from and she was just as surprised by the little one šŸ˜… I guess I'll give him/her some more time to feather out!

Back
Top Bottom