What breed could they be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rfranco1978, Nov 4, 2015.

1. rfranco1978

rfranco1978 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2015
    Santa Clarita
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    So, bird one appears to have green legs and a pea comb (and also appears to be a cockerel, btw) - and looks to have had a "chipmunk" pattern to it's down - is that correct?
    Bird two - can you get a comb shot or at least share the comb type it is developinng?

1 person likes this.
  3. rfranco1978

Oct 29, 2015
    Santa Clarita
    Here's a pic of my other one.
    [​IMG]

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Bird 1 with green legs and pea comb is an Easter Egger...and yes a rooster...red bars on wings.

Bird 2 looks to be a RIR or Production Red...female at this point.

LofMc

5. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Bird 1 - EE cockerel
    Bird 2 - was this one a solid color as a downy chick or did it have pattern in the down? Leaning towards one of the single combed, yellow legged "red" birds - ie production red, RIR, etc......

6. rfranco1978

Oct 29, 2015
    Santa Clarita

7. rfranco1978

Oct 29, 2015
    Santa Clarita
    I'm still figuring this site out so bare with me. I think I responded too many times. [​IMG]
    Well, I hope it's not a cockerel because we're not permitted to have them. And I really am attached already[​IMG]
    I'll have to go thru pics and see if the red one was a solid color. I wanna say she was. Kinda like a red-burnt orange color.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Where did they come from?

I agree the multi colored bird in front in the first pic is an EE cockerel. Not positive on gender on the other bird yet.

9. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It's always the one you get attached to - unfortunately with a comb that is already pinking up and showing three rows of "peas" as well as feathering in with a typical "male" pattern to his plumage you have a cockerel on your hands. Start preparing yourself emotionally to separate from him and start looking for his new/next home sooner rather than later - also start looking for another pullet (or two ) to replace him with so that your remaining bird is not a lone chicken.

10. rfranco1978

Oct 29, 2015
    Santa Clarita
    I got them from a kids party. They had animals there and the people who brought and own the animals were giving away chicks. My kids begged and I have in. So I was thrown into this and have to learn as I go along. I was already wanting chickens but definitely wanted to be more prepared and knowledgeable. However, I do love and care for them and ugh...I reallllly hope it's not a cockerel. I'll be devastated

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by