What breed could this be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bncranch, Oct 3, 2013.

1. bncranch

bncranch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Naples, FL
    We kidnapped these two chicks from Key West, Florida at 3 weeks old. They r now 18 weeks. Typically the breed down here is referred to Cubalayan, but the dont seem to b following that character. I believe they r also a roo and a pullet! Im open to any and all comments and analysis anyone may have.[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Games/Cuba/BRKCuba.html is the Feathersite page for Cubalayas. They do look like they could be mixes of those, they have the right combs I think. From that picture they look like two girls to me, but you might want to get some better ones of the sides/backs.

3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    The photo is a little grainy, but I think they are both hens. They are technically mutts but the Key West Chicken Association was trying to establish a breed standard for them as the chickens have been interbreeding on the island for so long that they are becoming standardized in body type, shape, ect. Here's a cool thread with some Gypsy chickens as they are known down there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/441267/key-west-aka-gypsy-chickens-thread

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    both females, and whatever breed runs wild on Key West.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You have two pullets. They look like mixed breeds, probably with some Cubalaya or game breed in them.

6. bncranch

Sep 22, 2013
    Naples, FL
    [​IMG]
    Thanks everyone. Still thinking this gypsy chicken is a roo because of the comb and waddle growth but again im a rookie and at 18 wks I would think I would hear some sort of a crow! Been a silent movie so far! Lol

7. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe rooster or maybe you'll get some eggs soon!

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Hens' combs get larger and redder as they reach sexual maturity and get ready to lay eggs. That bird is absolutely a hen, no rooster is colored like that. If she were male, her comb would be much larger, color would be different, and you'd be hearing crowing. She looks like eggs aren't more than a few weeks away.

9. bncranch

Sep 22, 2013
    Naples, FL
    Thanks donrae! You've made me a believer! And cleared up alot of doubt!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by