What breed could this black and white chick be?

HenriettaPizzaNolan

Raising Layers and Meat Birds in the City
Premium Feather Member
Apr 22, 2022
Northern Ohio
Hi all. I know it's pretty early to know for sure what breed she is, but I can't seem to figure out what my 2 week old chick Ursula is. What breeds have black and white chicks like this? I got her from the bin at Meyer Hatchery. All of the black breeds I looked up from Meyer be black and yellow as chicks (Australorp, Jersey Giant, etc.), not black and white, or just look way different. Her feet are dark and regular colored on the ends. Her comb is dark (so far) and does not seem very long or pronounced like my other chicks'. Her wing feathers that are coming in are jet black, but there is one white one coming in on each wing as well. Here are some pics:
signal-2022-09-18-18-01-09-328.jpg
signal-2022-09-18-18-02-19-136.jpg
signal-2022-09-18-18-03-40-851.jpg

Since it's probably too early to know for sure, my question is: what breeds have chicks that look similar to this? Easter Egger? Some sort of Marans? I'm new to chickens so anything helps! Thank you.

My guess is either olive egger or black split/chocolate orpington
Thanks! I'm gonna look into this!

Edit: The feet look extremely similar. But it looks like Meyer's chocolate Orpingtons are black and yellow. They also have a pretty pronounced yellow comb, which mine does not have.

However, the black split to lavender orpingtons have the same feet, a similar-looking comb, and are still black and yellow, but the yellow looks closer to white. This is certainly another contender along with olive egger so far.

Last edited:
And one more thing: this chick isn't showing any obvious signs so far of being a cockerel, right? She's fairly large compared to my Salmon Faverolles, but I was told she was a week older than the SF. I know it's waaaay too early for telling that for sure, but I can't have roosters so I'm slightly scared that she's so big and stands so upright lol.

She looks just like my olive egger as a baby, who also came from Meyer. My other guess would be a Black split to Lavender Orpington

Here’s a pic of my OE as a chick

Attachments

• E62D8369-EA23-4BAE-A8F7-ECFF6E0D4580.jpeg
    E62D8369-EA23-4BAE-A8F7-ECFF6E0D4580.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 8BFEE766-CF50-49B9-B2E7-8EDF1ADF9935.jpeg
    8BFEE766-CF50-49B9-B2E7-8EDF1ADF9935.jpeg
    367.1 KB · Views: 10
What breeds have black and white chicks like this? I got her from the bin at Meyer Hatchery. All of the black breeds I looked up from Meyer be black and yellow as chicks (Australorp, Jersey Giant, etc.), not black and white
Many of those breeds can have black and white or black and yellow.

For example, look at the Black Australorp pictures & video on McMurray's website:
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/black_australorps.html

Given the toe color, I think Australorp is more likely than Jersey Giant.

Back
Top Bottom