What breed do I get for different colored eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trunkman, Jan 25, 2011.

1. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I want different colored eggs, I currently get light brown eggs and want chickens that lay large dark brown, green, blue and white eggs. What breed do I need to get these different colored eggs? [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Marans are an excellent choice of dark brown eggs, although if you want DARK eggs, not just an orange color, go for Black Copper/Blue Copper or Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Marans.

For green eggs, Easter Eggers (often falsely sold as Ameraucanas) from hatcheries are a good choice. Also if you want a dark, rich green - Olive Eggers are a good choice.

For blue eggs - Ameraucanas or Araucanas are a great choice. They're not available at hatcheries/feedstores though, no matter what they tell you.

Some of us, myself included, offer hatching eggs for all those colors. [​IMG]

3. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    For white eggs leghorns or ancona are great and cold hearty if it snows where you live. Easter eggers or ameraucana will give you green/blue. Maran's for darker eggs.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

5. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Quote:How much do you charge for your hatching eggs, and do you have success with your customers? [​IMG]

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Sent you a PM. [​IMG]

7. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

wow, i might have to order some eggs from Forks so I can name one of the hens Bella [​IMG]
    sorry [​IMG]

guess you never heard that one huh?

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Not to purposefully go off-topic, but we do have a dog named Bella. [​IMG] She was named before Twilight was even written though.

9. jeepers210

jeepers210 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Hanover PA
    I wish I lived in Fork, WA. For dark Eggs I'd get a Welsummer and maybe a rooster named Edward!

10. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

hee hee...I may have to pull out my copies of twilight and revisit forks...and my fleeting youth! How silly am I? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by