What breed do I have?

Texgrand

Hatching
Feb 4, 2016
Cedar Creek, Texas
I am a newbie to having chickens........ I have learned enough by surfing the net, to know that I don't know ANYTHING!!!!! I know that I have an Astralorp (sp???). She is beautiful, friendly, a good layer and I think that she thinks she is human. She'll come to the patio door and peck at it almost as if she wants to come in the house. My other chicken has cream and light brown feathers, ear tufts and feathers on her legs. She is also very friendly. Both lay brown/tan eggs. "Blondie" is smaller than "Black Beauty" I can post pictures, once I get them off my phone. I want more chickens, but I want to know which breed will be a good fit for these two...... These are friendly so I don't want aggressive chickens. No barnyard fights for me LOL. Thanks... I look forward to hearing from y'all!!

Could be Brahma , Easter egger, silkie is a few of the breeds you may want to look at. Maybe mixed. I'm knew too but these are a few . Hope someone with more experience chimes in. Pics will definitely help.

Need pics.

I need to see what you call "ear tufts" which I find you probably don't have as that would be a much rarer type (Araucana).

You might have an EE from an Araucana hybrid, but most newbies don't stumble onto those, and the fact that she lays brown/tan eggs indicates even more fully you probably don't have one with "ear tufts." You might have one with beard/muff...and that would put her squarely in the EE category, just one that lays brown eggs rather than green, the desired color of EE.

Look at this page...difference between EE, Araucana and Ameraucana and see if you can find her there:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

Where did you get them from?

Need pics.

I need to see what you call "ear tufts" which I find you probably don't have as that would be a much rarer type (Araucana).

You might have an EE from an Araucana hybrid, but most newbies don't stumble onto those, and the fact that she lays brown/tan eggs indicates even more fully you probably don't have one with "ear tufts." You might have one with beard/muff...and that would put her squarely in the EE category, just one that lays brown eggs rather than green, the desired color of EE.

Look at this page...difference between EE, Araucana and Ameraucana and see if you can find her there:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

Where did you get them from?

X2 on the LoMC's post. Trying to ID a chicken without a pic is a bit like shooting in the dark. If you can get a photo (preferably a full body profile) posted, we'd be happy to take a look at your bird. :eek:)

Ok... not the worlds greatest pictures - I'll try to get better ones. I didn't know chickens could move so fast when you want them to be still. It was if "Blondie" knew I wanted good pictures........ and she wasn't going to cooperate! I appreciate those of you that took time to respond even though it's impossible to guess from just a description. This is new adventure for me..... I never dreamed that at nearly 69 I would be caring for chickens and enjoying it! Thanks again....
Jeanne

Ok... not the worlds greatest pictures - I'll try to get better ones. I didn't know chickens could move so fast when you want them to be still. It was if "Blondie" knew I wanted good pictures........ and she wasn't going to cooperate! I appreciate those of you that took time to respond even though it's impossible to guess from just a description. This is new adventure for me..... I never dreamed that at nearly 69 I would be caring for chickens and enjoying it! Thanks again....
Jeanne

You have a Salmon Faverolles pullet. Salmon Faverolles are a wonderful breed; beautiful, calm and gentle (great lap pets), and good layers of cream colored eggs.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Agree, she's a cute Faverolles pullet.

If you're thinking to add to your flock, you'll want to go with traditionally more docile breeds. Faverolles are very easy going and can easily get picked on by more assertive breeds. I'd say Orpingtons may be a good fit for a dual purpose bird, or more ornamental breeds like Cochins, Brahmas, silkies, Polish, sultans, breeds like that. I'd avoid hatchery Reds, they're known for being pretty assertive with more docile breeds.

Agree with the others. Salmon Favorelle pullet. And that is a beard/muff not ear tufts.

And yes, very docile hens that tend to get picked on by more assertive breeds.

LofMc

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Agree, she's a cute Faverolles pullet.

If you're thinking to add to your flock, you'll want to go with traditionally more docile breeds. Faverolles are very easy going and can easily get picked on by more assertive breeds. I'd say Orpingtons may be a good fit for a dual purpose bird, or more ornamental breeds like Cochins, Brahmas, silkies, Polish, sultans, breeds like that. I'd avoid hatchery Reds, they're known for being pretty assertive with more docile breeds.

X2 on donrae's post.

Back
Top Bottom