1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what breed do I have

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by eggbudd, Dec 6, 2010.

1. eggbudd

eggbudd New Egg

Dec 6, 2010
    I had 5 chiks given to me. They are now 7 months. They are black with green highlights. The rooster is beautiful he is black with lots of green highlights and a ton of little red feathers all over what breed would this be.

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Hard to say without a picture.

3. LeaderStorm

LeaderStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    South Eastern Indiana
    The black with green highlights sounds sort of like an Australorp but the fact that the rooster has red feathers is what keeps me from saying they are. Is the rooster and the hens the same breed? Maybe the hens are australorps and the rooster is something else.

Can you post pictures?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Black Australorps are not the only breed with green highlights; this seems to be a rising "myth" - ANY black colored breed, which names almost all of them, should and/or can have green highlights.

The black one with the red on him is not the same breed as the black one, however, there are a LOT of breeds and even mutts that come in those colors. Pics would help. [​IMG]

5. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Does he looks anything like this?
    [​IMG]

6. eggbudd

eggbudd New Egg

Dec 6, 2010
    crash 0330's picture looks just like my rooster, but mine has a lot more green and red. The hens came from the same batch and lay beautiful Xtra jumbo brown eggs. I mean these eggs are huge and have wonderful flavor

7. crash0330

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Mine has gotten much redder since that picture was taken, Ill take a picture tomorrow and post it here.
    he is a Black Copper Maran btw

8. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:ditto

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The pictured bird is either a) Not a Black Copper Marans or b) Sorry, poor quality. He has the wrong color, too little color, and no feathered shanks.

Anything with Wheaten, Duckwing, or Brown-Red coloring crossed with Black can create the color shown in the photo. (ie - a mutt. [​IMG] )

10. crash0330

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Poor quality Maran, sorry forgot to mention that, he looks waaaaay reder now tho, I know he is a BCM because I also hatched some 2 more out of the same eggs from the same flock and one of them came out with feathered shanks and just like a BCM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by