what breed do my girls look like they are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mother Hubbard, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Mother Hubbard

Mother Hubbard New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

i am new to chicken keeping .i bought 4 hens,2 silkies and 2 what were thought to be buffs...seeing them maturing,they aren't looking like photos i've seen of buffs!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Buff is a color not a breed.

There are Orpingtons that are buff colored and thus called Buff Orpington...neither of your birds are that.

There are Buff Wyandottes...ditto....and neither of your birds are that as they do not have rose combs nor fit the color pattern for that.

The top one is hard to tell with her head buried in the vines. At first blush it looked like a Gold Star/Red Star/Red Sexlink/Cinnamon Queen...take your pick as to name...it is all dependent on what the hatchery's formula was to place a gold based rooster over a white based hen to get a hybrid cross where the girls are red colored and the boys white colored from day of hatch...and thus sex linked.

However on closer up I see some faint patterning on her back and on the tail that isn't typical of Red Sex Links...ditto for New Hampshire which was my other guess.

They could be mixes.

Does the bottom one have feathers on her legs? I can't tell from the tall grass. If she has feathering I was guessing a mix with Cochin.

Not much help other than buff is a color not a breed.
    Lady of McCamley

3. Mother Hubbard

Mother Hubbard New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    thanks for letting me know so i don't continue to make a fool of myself :) obviously i have 2 "mutts".i added a head shot of elizabeth,hopefully it helps.
    no,millie doesn't have feathers.i was looking through breeds and thought she was a brahma until i saw the legs :(

4. lilypad

lilypad Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2013
    UK
    Hi there!

The last one looks like a buff sussex to me, very pretty!

5. Junibutt

Junibutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Chicago
    Your orange one on top looks closer to a New Hampshire but has some black/green i her tail so definitely a mix.
    The one at the bottom is anyone's guess. Possibly a Red-Sex Linked Hybrid operation gone bad. Or they might just be daughters of some sex linked girls with some miscellaneous roosters.

6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Other than the faint ticking on her back...with the head shot and tail shot I think she is New Hampshire. Some hatchery birds can have some oddites as they don't necessarily follow breed standards.

Can't help much with the bottom one...that looks like a mix to me.
    Lady of McCamley

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Where did you get them? Did they come from a hatchery or a backyard breeder?

If they're from a hatchery, the hatchery would probably call them New Hampshires, or just production reds. If they're from a backyard breeder, they're just nice mixed breed hens.

8. ClucksAndPeeps

ClucksAndPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    X2.

9. Mother Hubbard

Mother Hubbard New Egg

Aug 27, 2013
    i bought them from a gentleman that raised them.even if they are of questionable heritage...i still love them [​IMG]

10. barefootbabies

barefootbabies Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2013
    I'm still very new at this, but the top one looks just like my golden comet girls... the bottom one looks like a buff brahma I almost bought at the farmers market, but without feathered legs I don't know... maybe a mix...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by