what breed do people keep for eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jamband, Sep 12, 2011.

1. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Wondering what everyone keeps. I have 6 muscovy already that haven't started laying but from everything I read they just are not really an egg duck. I like so many other things about them I wish they were more egg productive and I would just get some more of them...... The main breeds I hear for eggs are campbells, harlequins, magpies, anaconas......

I am open to any breed really but would like a pure/heritage breed. They will be free range with lots of access to forage. A few variables for myself to consider are:

Calm vs nervous....I have heard the campbells can be super skittish?

I want a good forager and good egg layer , which I believe all the above mentioned meet.

Actually finding good quality birds in the breed... I know the anaconas are hard to find.

I do have a hawk population. Also a crow population and Muscovy so not sure how big an issue it is.. But in holderreads book he says the mid size birds like magpies and anconas have better odds with aerial predation?

Just curious what you all keep

2. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm APA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Monticello, Arkansas
  3. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    yeah they list campbells as nervous too but the WH as calm.......thoose egg numbers are like almost half what holderread lists in his book though.

another thought is it seems most ducks stop laying in the winter pretty much except the campbells??

4. HallFamilyFarm

Jan 25, 2010
    Monticello, Arkansas
    Our Buff ducks layed all winter and stopped in the hot summer. Holderead's book is several yaers old. Metzer's info is more recent. It may just be Metzer strain that lays this well. they are using their own stats.

5. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    no I meant holderread lists campbells as like 250-340 a year.

I also keep thinking of things but this one may be unavoidable and that is I think white animals stick out for predation..

6. HallFamilyFarm

Jan 25, 2010
    Monticello, Arkansas
    When my 4H members decide to add a new breed I ask them what color they prefer. Color is what appeals to most first. Then type. Most of the duck breeds are fair to good layers. So pick a color and type and go for it.

I like both Holdreads and Metzers. both show their birds and do well.

7. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Pekins and Runners usually make good egg layers. People also say Kakhi Campbells make good layers.

8. HallFamilyFarm

Jan 25, 2010
    Monticello, Arkansas
    The Pekins only come in white. Runners have more colors than I can count. The APA website list the following:

Runner Black 1977 Light Duck
    Runner Buff 1977 Light Duck
    Runner Chocolate 1977 Light Duck
    Runner Cumberland Blue 1977 Light Duck
    Runner Fawn & White 1898 Light Duck
    Runner Gray 1977 Light Duck
    Runner Penciled 1914 Light Duck
    Runner White 1914 Light Duck

http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/APA_Recognized_Breeds_6_2010.pdf

9. purplequeenvt

purplequeenvt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Charlotte, VT
    I personally like the Pekin. They are decent layers and tend to be calmer, although in my experience they are one of the louder breeds.

10. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I have Khaki's and Magpies. My Magpie hen is laying. Campbells are too young yet. Magpie's are calmer than the Campbell's. My Campbell hens are loud and skittish, but may get calmer as they get older (they are only 2 months), as the drakes did. Quantity of eggs are supposed to be better with the Campbells, but Magpie's are calmer and quieter. At least in our experience, they have generally more laid back personalities. Campbells are more high strung, both hens and have had more behavior issues with the drakes than the Magpie as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by