What breed do you suggest?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickHick134, Mar 4, 2014.

1. ChickHick134

ChickHick134 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    Hello there,

I live in an suburban area, some people say it's more country, anyway I'm looking to purchase some ducks. At the moment I have about 40 chickens and 6 goats. Though I'm pretty sure I am going to ask anyway, is it okay to mix chickens and goats and ducks together? I have been researching and crossed out Pekins just cause I have heard they are very loud which could be debatable but I don't want to risk it. The factors I'm looking for are

- Quiet
    - Friendly [ not afraid to come up to you or follow ]
    - Can't fly
    - Good egg layers [ not overly important cause I have so many chickens ]
    - Cool temper
    - Not too high maintenance
    - Not trying to push it, but it would also be a plus if they were semi cute c:

Also, if you have any tips for raising ducks as a beginner? I have a four rail wired fence that's not too big. And as a moveable pasture I have electric fencing that I move around every now and then. I live in a region where we could have extreme winters or summers if that helps.

Thanks!

2. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    I suggest cayugas. Mine are very friendly, they follow me around the property (I take them for walks to the mailbox :) ), they will eat from my hand and let me pet them. I only have males so I can't confirm this based on personal experiences, but cayugas are supposed to be the quietest breed of duck besides for muscovies. And cayugas are BEAUTIFUL! They turn irridesent green when the sun hits them, it is breath taking. Also, some cayugas can lay black eggs!

3. ChickHick134

Mar 4, 2014
    I do admit they are pretty. Do they fly though? Also, do you think they would be fine living in the same outdoor enclosure as chickens? Thanks :)

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    They don't fly, ducks and chickens.. well some mix them some don't, i am in the don't group.. ducks are pretty sloppy and chickens are more fond of dry... they can be roommates but one has to allow for both of these factors...

also a caution with drakes they may go after chicken hens in a lovey dovey way.. that can end real badly. Now i will say my standards free range around my main duck flock and they don't touch them but it's still worth a mention.

I do hear Cayuga touted as fairly quiet, not sure how true that is actually is... i mainly own Muscovy which compared to mallard derived definitively are. here is a link for duckling care.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

[​IMG]

5. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Yes I agree with Going Quackers about mixing the ducks and chickens. Drakes should never be allowed near hens, so I would order only females.

6. ChickHick134

Mar 4, 2014
    Ah okay, thank you both very much. Do you guys have any good sites for ordering ducklings? Where I can pick the sexes c:

7. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Metzer farms is my number one go to for ducklings :). Their shipping practices are great, you can pick the sex, and you can order as few as two ducklings.

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    There you go! i am unfortunately not in the US so my knowledge is not useful for that country.

9. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Metzer's shipping is pretty fast, organized and efficient also. You can pick a date you want them to ship, and they are shipped on a monday and arrive on a wendsday.

10. charlindabob

charlindabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    Pinioned Mucscovys! Get the right ones and they are even cute too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by