What breed do you think he is?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mnhomestead, Sep 16, 2012.

1. mnhomestead

mnhomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2012
    Milaca - Mora, Minnesota
    We were given this little guy when he was a day or two old from my mother in laws neighbor beacause it was the only chick that hatched and he didn't want to raise just one, and we had chicks in a brooder already... My husband couldn't remember what kind of breed the guy said it was, but knew that it was not a barred rock...
    After a bit of quarantine he was put with our other chicks and he really held his own. It was comical to see him duck and weave under all the other chicks (only 2 weeks older than him, but noticably a difference in size) and steal all the good treats we would throw in.
    He's about 12-13 weeks old and looked a lot like our barred rocks growing up, only something slightly different in looks. He is still smaller than our others (barred rocks, wyandottes and marans) but gets right in there and still gets the good treats. We call him chicken little :)
    I had thought maybe cuckoo maran growing up but I don't they have black tail feathers... So what are your thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Barred rock

3. mnhomestead

Jul 13, 2012
    Milaca - Mora, Minnesota
    It's not a barred rock. Legs are grey not yellow, and tail feathers are not that of a barred rock. I have barred rocks that are two weeks older than him- not the same.

4. cowman1970

cowman1970 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Williamsburg, Pennsylvania
    Looks as if it is a Barred Rock x Banty cross.

5. mnhomestead

Jul 13, 2012
    Milaca - Mora, Minnesota
    Here is a few more pics of him. He is just under 13 weeks, all other birds are 15 weeks old. His black feathering has like a green/blue tint to it as well, a couple pictures show it. Tail feathers are really long. While he is smaller than other birds when I look at him he seems tall...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    I am wondering if he could be a male Black Sex-link.

7. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    possibly a Barred rock, EE cross if the legs are grey

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He looks very gamey to me. The barring looks like one barred parent, one non-barred parent. So, he's a mixed breed barred cockerel.

9. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Black Sexlink Roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by