1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed do you think?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PotterWatch, Jun 12, 2008.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Instead of continuing to hijack the other thread, I figured I would start a new one. Last week we adopted a new dog who we belive is a pit bull mix. She is very sweet and loving (though would definitely grab cats and chickens given the chance). I don't really care what breed she is though I like knowing so that I can do research on what the breed characteristics are in order to provide the best home possible. I started thinking before we even brought her home that she looked a bit like and American Bulldog mix. Any opinions?

Oreo:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I agree that she has a 'bully' breed in her.

I can see possible Labrador or Dalmatian (the white color and spots).

3. texasreb

texasreb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    yeah, a bully mix. Hard to tell which one (pitt or Am Bull) without knowing her age and size (height, weight).

Without a size reference, she looks more Am Bull, but I might revise that if she's really tiny. She doesn't look like lab or dal (to me), but maybe boxer?? or some type of stock dog?? Her head isn't blocky or wedgie enough to be pure bully.

4. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I was also thinking boxer mix!! When I was young my parents raised AKC Boxers. She sure looks like she has some boxer in her to me!!

I can also see how some one might think lab. She does have a lab like body.

Good luck finding out for sure!!

5. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Currently she is about 5.5 months old, weighs right around 40lbs, and comes up to the top of my knee (I am 5'7).

6. texasreb

texasreb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    nix the pitbull then, unless she's half great dane!

Whatever she is, she's a lovely, lively girl!

7. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    I guess that she will be 75-80 lb full grown (at 2 yrs of age). I'm guesssing at least 1/2 american bulldog. They have the white coloring with large black spotches and black ticking on the skin.

boxers and american bulldogs will have an underbite. Check her bite by looking at her incisors to see where they meet up. If her bottom incisors stick out further than the top ones, she has a underbite. Normal, average breeds (like a lab) have the opposite. Pit bulls have a "normal" bite AKA scissors.

I have known people who have done the DNA breed testing with unknowns and the results always come back with way more than just two breeds! LOL

8. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well I guess I will just call her a mutt and if people ask at the dog park I will say she is probably an Amer. Bulldog mix. Sadly, I am sure that people will give me less issue about her if they don't think she's a pit.

9. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    boxer mix

10. sheps4her

sheps4her Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Guilford County, NC
    She could still have pit in her even if she is growing large. Just depends on what she is mixed WITh. She could have some Am bulldog in her also. but most likely her parents had mixed heritage. She does have "bully characteristics, and she looks like alot of the backyard bred pitbulls I see around here.....
    In either case, love her and train her and she will be great no matter what the heritage. Good luck with her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by