What breed: Dutch or OEGB?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Triplecross, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Triplecross

Triplecross Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    I thought they were OEGB hens but I'm looking at a Encyclopedia of Chickens book and the Dutch pictures made me reconsider. The book is from Netherlands and I noticed some chickens that are different than our American standards (ei: RIR have a rose comb in book)

Here's a pic of my little girls. [​IMG]

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away... Premium Member

It is possible that they are a cross between the twp breeds; sometimes hatcheries will cross Dutch with OEGB to improve their colors. But I'd say that they're most likely purebreds. I have an OEGB girl myself, and your girls aren't too unlike her. Dutch banties are slightly bigger than OE as well, so once they're full grown you can weigh them and decide.
    BTW, RIR's do have a rosecomb variety. They aren't very common, but if you look them up you'll find them [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I believe a hallmark of the Dutch bantams is the white enamel earlobes. That would make your birds not Dutch, but games.

4. summerb123

summerb123 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2016
    Mississippi
    agrees

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with donrae

6. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away... Premium Member

Very true, but when I look closer at the picture, I can see that they do have white earlobes... My OE girl has "white" earlobes, but they have some red in the center...
    Another thing is leg color. Let's see... most varieties of Dutch have slate blue legs, whereas BBR and wheaten OE have white-pink feet. Huh, that would make them some kind of mix [​IMG]

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The bird on the left is an Old English Game bantam. However, the bird on the right (with slate legs and a whiteish earlobe) does appear to be a Dutch bantam, albeit hatchery quality.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by