What breed? Finally found picture!

Henrietta23

Songster
12 Years
Oct 20, 2007
Eastern CT
These were my two little mystery hens. Unfortunately we lost the gray one, Dove, this fall. Sasha, the darker one is one of our two hens. Any ideas? They are/were smaller than my Red Sex Links and Barred Rock but I don't think they're small enough to be bantums. I've only ever seen bantums at the fair but I'm sure these girls aren't that small! They came from the poultry dept at the University of Connecticut two springs ago. This was taken right after they came home with me.
DoveandSasha.jpg

Thanks for any ideas!

hi h23!
i don't know what type of chickens those are but they are lovely! i really like the grey/blue coloration (so sorry you lost her . . .)
is the other bird the one you're thinking of making into a "house chicken?"
she's very cute!

smile.png

f. weeble

The blue one looks like an Ameraucana or Easter Egger mixed with something else-wrong comb and wrong color legs is why I say mixed. Either of the breeds I mentioned would have a pea comb and Ameraucanas have slate blue legs. EEs can have any color leg, but they are often greenish. Come to think of it, I've seen some EEs with single combs; after all, they are a mutt type breed. Are they laying?

Quote:
They were both laying white eggs. The person who got them for me thought they might be Ameracanas but wasn't sure so they might very well be a mix.

Quote:
Thanks, no Sasha is a very aloof bird. Rockie, my old barred rock hen would be the one I'd make a house chicken. She's not overly friendly either but Sasha is downright freaky.

Your grey one reminds me of my grey one! She is a Easter Egger-Australorp cross. Here she is with some of my other pullets.

2164194956_7b84b6ff8e.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom