What breed for Meyer rare breed assortment

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mejsmom1, Mar 21, 2016.

1. mejsmom1

mejsmom1 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2013
    Kentucky
    Can anyone give me some ideas of what these gals might be or is it way too early to start trying? 1 and 3 are rare breed assortments from Meyer Hatchery. 2 is from Meyer's bargain bin in the store. The rare breed assortment includes many types including: "others as they are added to our selection." Here is a link to their page with the types listed: https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=ARELS Chicks are one week old.
    Thanks!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Rare breed assortment Meyer
    Chick 1 Comb hard to see, possibly pea or single covered by fuzz and hard to find.
    Yellow/white underneath, black across back with yellow patches on shoulder. Wings coming in with white and black. Chick is small but not bantam.

[​IMG][​IMG] Bargain bin Meyer
    Chick 2 Black/white chick, wings coming in black except for a few white feathers.
    Yellow/black legs, single comb. Regular size chick (as compared to my sex links).

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Rare breed assortment Meyer
    Chick 3 Yellow chick with reddish tint on back. Regular size chick. Single comb. Peach/tan wings, with dark grey/black specks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. Grub Digger

Grub Digger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    Middle TN
    My best guesses based on Meyer's website:

1. Sumatra
    2. Jersey Giant
    3. Jubilee Orpington

4. mejsmom1

mejsmom1 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2013
    Kentucky
    My thoughts had been:
    1. Sumatra
    2. Black copper maran
    3. Jubilee orpington

But when their wings started growing in and the black chicks had white on the wings I wasn't sure. Also #3 has pale peach wings coming in rather than the browner ones on the Jubilee.
    I have looked at hundreds of chick pics including every chicken page of the Meyer hatchery catalog! I thought maybe someone more familiar with these breeds would recognize the chicks better than I have.
    I appreciate your help and am glad someone else has come with some of the same conclusions. :)

5. LuvnEnglishOrps

LuvnEnglishOrps Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2017
    I know this is an older post, but was curious what #3 turned out to be? I just received 5 from the rare breed assortment and 10 of the 'leanns bargain bin' and have 3 or 4 that are very similar to your #3 (its that giant nostril/comb look that throws me off). 3 are more on the reddish yellow side and one in very light yellow. I too have compared every single chick pic on Meyers site along with what seems like 498 million others trying to narrow it down. I plan to grow them all out regardless but curiosity is killing me and patience is not my strong point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by